What's new

Need help with LD player's door... (1 Viewer)

svenge

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Svenge Guttensen
I've got a Sony MDP-1100 that I picked up used, and I'm having problems with the door. When I hit the eject key, the tray moves forward, but the door doesn't flap down out of the way. I am flap it down manually, but I'd rather it work properly. Does anyone have an idea?

Devin U

Second Unit
Sony's LD players are notorious for that. I dont think even if you could find someone to fix it you could get the parts to do it with. The only suggestion I have (I seen tons of people do this) is remove the door.

DanielM

Stunt Coordinator
I had 2 mdp 333,s and they both did that I took the first one apart tryin too fix it....on the second one I just removed the door

Chuck Frady

Second Unit
The fix is soo apparent that I can't believe people remove the door.

Ok this is what you do. Remove the top cover, look for the motor with the rubber band type drive that controls the door opening and closing. Remove this rubber band. Clean it with a good rubber restorer/platen cleaner, etc. Something to get off all the dust, grease, and to make the rubber tacky again. Clean the u-groove round parts that the band sits in just to make sure there is no grease or dust in there. Reinstall that black rubber drive band, and test...

Works everytime. This is a similar mechanism that both Sony and Pioneer use. If your drive band is broken or worn out, improvise and go to your local Home Depot or Lowes and get something that is of similar size. Lowes would be the best for miscellaneous small parts.

Cleaning the band and making it sort of sticky has always worked for me. When this band ages, gets dusty, etc, it slips in the drive mechanism it sits in thus preventing enough torque to be generated to open the door.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks