Need help with Klipsch vs. Polk decision

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Bowles, Dec 23, 2001.

1. Brian Bowles

Brian Bowles Second Unit

I recently got the following:

2 Polk rt-25i

1 Polk cs-245 (center)

SVS 20-39

I really do not plan on keeping this Polk configuration. It is just what I can afford now. The problem is this. The Klipsch RC-3 center is $350 and several places online have it for $259. I do not know what the nearest dealer who is 60 miles away will sell it for. I will call and ask. Anyone have a clue? Anyway, I thought maybe it would be good to go ahead and get the Klipsch center if that is what I am going to upgrade to later. Heck it is not much more. How bad would this sound with the small Polk rt-25i speakers that I have? I would have to keep this configuration for several months and possibly 1/2 a year. Obviously these speakers do not match. Can someone give me some advise?

2. BertFalasco

BertFalasco Supporting Actor

Well, as I've heard, seen "stats," the Klipsch Reference Series are pretty damn powerful. I myself have the newer model Synergy Series (Fronts and soon getting center).

My friend just got the new RC 3 II (I think thats the model) if not Darren, correct me. And he said it sounded great, but that was with the older Synergy fronts and the same SVS.

But Polk? Hmm.. I would let other people decide as seeing I don't chance things like this. I would've gone out of the way to go to Sound Advice or something.

Sorry.

-Bert

3. EricK

EricK Second Unit

Eric
    As soon as you can afford - go for the Klipsch set up. You will definitely see a major difference between Klipsch and Polk.

Good luck!!

Eric.

4. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

I currently have Polk 35i's in my bedroom, but have Klipsch RB5 II's and the Klipsch RC II center channel on order. While I think you could probably get away with other than Klipsch speakers for the rear speakers, I would be hesitant of trying to match Klipsches with Polks up front due to timbre concerns. I hear great things about the RC 3 center channels and you can't beat that sensitivity, but, if you decide to try it, buy from someone who allows you to return them for a FULL refund if it doesn't work out.

5. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Brian,

I just read your post more carefully. Sorry. My bedroom currently is matching an older Klipsch center with the Polk 35i's and it definitely sounds pretty good to me. If this is going to be kind of temporary, I don't see any reason you shouldn't go ahead. Again, check the return policy if it turns out to be something you can't live with. But, given the transitional state of your speakers, I'd do it if I were in your shoes. I think that, in the long run, what you are transitioning into is better than what you currently have. And, for you Polk fans, this is in no way, I repeat in no way, meant to be a put down of Polks. I love them. I just prefer the Klipshes.

6. Brian Bowles

Brian Bowles Second Unit

Thanks for all of the posts. I called the closest Klipsch dealer (70 miles. He would not give me a price. I dont know If I want to drive that far. He also said I did not need the rc-3. He said it was too big? What does that mean. I assume he going to try and sell me the synergy line or something. Now I am really confused.

7. Bill_Weinreich

Bill_Weinreich Second Unit

Brian,

Too big?? I have the Ref series in my "small" 12x15x7 room. The rc-3 really places the sound to the image. The only concern you may have (Until you upgrade your mains) is you will loose timbre matching wich may cause the L to R panning effects to degrade. The Klipsch series is also VERY sensitive and may over power your mains in volume so you will probably have to turn the center level down.

I got my set up about 2 years ago and I havent looked back. Go ahead and get the Klipsch.

P.S. got mine through soundcity.com (great deal)

Bill

8. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

"He also said I do not need the RC-3. He said it was too big."

1) It is a physically imposing center. Large and heavy-30 pounds, 8 inches high, 23 inches wide, and 9 inches deep. IMHO, only appropriate for rear projection sets or front projector installations.

2) The SC-1 is enough unless you are going to run your center full range at very high volume. Very few centers can really reproduce deep bass so running the center full range even with the RC-3 is probably not the best option. After all, the RC-3 has only two 6.5 inch cones, is rated by Klipsch as good only down to 62Hz and you would not be likely to use such a speaker for your main L&R, so why would you run the RC-3 full range?

PS, the SC-1 got an excellent write-up in the September issue of Sound&Vision. You can read the review on-line at soundandvisionmag.com by clicking on Equipment Reports, Archives, Surround Sensations.

When you make up your mind, Joe (ext 708), at Sound City (800) 370-3156, can deliver to your door at a great price.

Artie

9. Matt Malto

Matt Malto Stunt Coordinator

There is no comparison between the RC3-II and the SC1. I just made the upgrade and all I can say is WOW! I've owned the RC3, SC1, Energy, Acoustic Research, etc. center speakers and NONE have come close to sounding as impressive as the RC3II. My wife who knows nothing about audio even commented on how much better the sound is. I switched from all Synergy Series to all Reference II's.

The speakers is large, but it fits just fine on top of my 36" Wega. DO NOT get the SC1 or any Synergy series speakers if you can afford the Reference II's.

The RF3 II's (Front speakers) are just as impressive. Major upgrade over the Synergy SF1's I had as my mains (or even the original RF3's).

10. James RD

James RD Supporting Actor

Evidently soundcity does not carry Klipsch speakers(at least the Ref. series) anymore.

Do the RF-3IIs actually sound better than the RF-3s? I know there are some cosmetic changes and internal wiring differences but I'm curious to know if anyone can tell the difference.

11. Matt Malto

James-

I can say without a doubt that the RF3II's sound better than the RF3's. I owned the complete Reference line, then the Synergy Series, and now the complete Reference II line. I wasn't expecting much of a difference between the original's and the Reference II's, but there is. My setup has never sounded better.

12. Darren Davis

Darren Davis Stunt Coordinator

just to recapitulate, I think the RC-3 II center would overpower your Polks. Also, the sound is pretty different. At higher volumes it's more noticeable, but Klipsch has an aquired sound. BUT...if you like the sound (and I do[​IMG] ) AND you plan on upgrading to Reference 3 series all around in the future then I say go for it! This speaker big? Bah! The Bigger the BETTER![​IMG] At least it's not as big as some of those B&W and Martin Logan badboys I've listened to.

13. JohnMW

JohnMW Second Unit

My local dealer gave me 25% off Klipsch Reference Series II speakers.

RF3 II - 850 (637.50)

RC3 II - 350 (262.50)

RS3 II - 550 (412.50)

Damn they are some fine sounding speakers for the price. I couldn't be happier.

14. Jon_R

Jon_R Stunt Coordinator

I'm standing for the underdog here. I have an all Polk setup, r40, cs245i, r10 and I love it. I would never own Klipsch, I think they are too bright. But that, of course, is just me.
    I think trying to match the Polk, even with the sharper tri-lams to a Klipsch setup, will not sound very even. Granted, the majority of the sound in DD comes from the center, but still it won't be perfect.
    If you enjoy the Klipsch sound, as it is distinct, then go for it! Also ebay the rest of your Polks later on.
    Notice how I made ebay a verb? Isn't that so X-gen trendy of me? [​IMG]
    Good luck,
    Jon

15. Eric Kahn

Eric Kahn Guest

If the dealer says the RC-3 is too big, imagine what he would say about my KLF-C7 sitting on top of my 32 inch TV, same width as the TV

You will be able to hear a difference between the polks and the klipsch, the klipsch will be "brighter" and be louder than the polks unless you can lower the level of the center channel

I went form the oppsite, Klipsch mains and a sony centerchannel, big difference in the sound when I told the reciever that I had no center channel and then switched to center channel

I would suggest going somewhere and listening to the klipsch speakers before buying as they are definately "brighter" than anything else I have heard and you may not like it

16. Matt Malto

Well, I don't get the whole "bright" issue. Maybe my Pionner Elite balances that out, but I've never noticed the Klipsch being too bright.
    Also, I never said the Polk weren't ok. Just that the Klipsch sounds damn good. [​IMG]

17. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

18. Michael Klein

The Reference line is terrific. I have the original RF-3s (4 of them) and the RC-3. Couldn't be happier for the price--get this: Although I could afford it, I have NO PLANS to upgrade my main speakers in the foreseeable future. And the RC-3 fits just fine even on my 27" television, thank you very much.
    I've said it before, I'll say it again--Klipsch prices are highly negotiable. I bought them last winter, before the RF-3 II was announced, when they were MSRP of $800/pr on the RF-3 and $350 for the RC-3. I paid $250 per speaker (great deal on the RF-3s, good on the RC-3) from an authorized dealer and repair center. Took a bit of haggling, but well worth my time.

19. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

I got my RP3s for something like $400/each. They are basically the same as the RF3s, except they have the built-in 10" subs. I think I paid in the neighborhood of $299 for the RC3-II. Those are the ones with the internal Monster Cable Z-Series internal network. ( I don't know why they did that, other than for marketing )