What's new

need help with installation - computer and tv (1 Viewer)

Hacksaw

Auditioning
Real Name
Ashley Page
I have a system down stairs consisting of a Yahama receiver, Direct TV HDDVR, dvd player, etc. The system is in a converted coat closet and the TV is in another room. Its a Mitsubishi 52" DLP and we have Definitive Technology speakers.

Upstairs, right over the equipment closet is my office. I have purchased a Samsung T260HD TV / monitor. I want to get another HDDVR to use with this TV. I also plan to use this TV as my computer monitor.

Questions:

Can I link the two HDDVR's together and watch programing on either TV from either DVR?

What cables do I need to run to the Samsung TV?

Should I put the second DVR in the closet downstairs or should I keep it upstairs?

I am not going to invest a lot of money in speakers for up stairs and wondering if I can get one of the typical set of speakers you see at Staples for the computer that would also work with the TV?

I really don't know how to integrate the computer and the TV into the same monitor/TV???

I am a novice at this and would appreicate any help.

Thanks very much

Regards

Ashley Page

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Answers:
- You can't "link" the DVR's together. DirecTV HR2x series DVR's can't communicate with each other. But with creative wiring, you can watch either DVR on either TV. I have 3 DVRs shared between 2 TV's without any issue. I could add a 3rd TV as well.
- What inputs do you have on the Samsung TV/monitor? What connections are you using with the Mitsu?
- That is for you to decide. I like to have all of my equipment in one location.
- I don't know what "typical Staples speakers" would consist of.
- That goes back to the inputs on your TV/monitor.

-Robert

Hacksaw

Auditioning
Real Name
Ashley Page

Robert, thanks for your help.

I am only using one set of connections on the Mitsu which are the ones the installer used. They have a cable feeding the Mitsu (don't remember the name but might be "bundle") that is black and about .5" dia with 5 conductors one each blue green red black and yellow. I don't believe they are using all of the conductors.

The Samsung has 2 HDMI ports, one cable port, one PC/DVI-D port, one Digital audio out Optical port, one DVI-D connection port plus 5 audio in ports that look like RCA jacks.

As for speakers I am thinking of using a good set of computer speakers - two speakers and a sub woofer.

I would like to know how to wire this up to use either HDDVR on either TV. I can easily put the two DVR together on the same shelf. I can use a wireless remote to control things.

Thanks, again, for your help with this

Ashley

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It sounds like your current DVR is connected to the Mitsu via component video/analog audio. The simplest way is to add another DVR to the mix and use another set of component video/analog audio cables to the Mitsu and run HDMI cables from the DVRs to the Samsung. I recommend using a Harmony remote at each viewing location to control everything.

If you want to use HDMI connections to both TV's then you need the 4x2 HDMI matrix switch from Monoprice.

How many runs of cable do you have from your satellite dish or multi-switch? You will need another two runs for the additional DVR.

My system consists of an HR10-250 (aka high def DirecTivo), an HR20 and an HR22. I have six runs of cable from my satellite multi-switch to my theater room. All 3 of my DVRs run into my 4x2 HDMI switch and one output of that switch feeds my projector. The 4th input is reserved for a Blu Ray player. The component video outputs of each DVR is run through the wall to the attic, over to the living room and down inside that wall to a 55" Mitsubishi TV. Audio in the theater room is run through a Pioneer VSX-1014 7.1 receiver. Audio in the living room is run through a Kenwood 5.1 receiver. All DVRs, A/V receivers, DVD players, XM radios, etc. are located in the rear of the theater room in 3 equipment racks. I use a hard wired IR relay system to control things from the living room. Both rooms have a Harmony 880 remote to control all of the equipment. When I add an HDTV to the bedroom, it will get the video from the #2 output of the HDMI switch and I'll need another Harmony remote.

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
babarrun
Recent bookmarks