need help with infinity alpha 50's

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Justin Kregear, Feb 4, 2004.

1. Justin Kregear

Justin Kregear Auditioning

newbie here, needs suggestions.

Im building a new system, ive already got an onkyo tx-nr801 and 2 infinty alpha 50's. Im moving in 2 weeks and plan to complete the system with four more alpha 50's and an infinity alpha 37c. Im told that all your speakers should be the same and love my alpha 50's, but infinity doesn't make a center that matches the specs of the 50's. Is this ok, or would I be better off finding a different brand with the same specs. also what would be a bargain sub that would compliment my system. Suggestions on bargain speaker wire that wouldn't comprimise my system would be great also.

thanks for your support

2. Andy_Steb

Andy_Steb Stunt Coordinator

The 37c is a fantastic center channel.
    When you were told all your speakers should be the same, somebody was referring to timber matching. All your speakers don’t have to be the same model or specs, as log as they have the same sound characteristics.
    Adding four more 50’s sounds a little over overboard to me, but if you have room for them go for it. With a good sub and the right crossover points, any of the speakers in the alpha line should be fine.

So summing it all up,
    50’s in front, 37c in center
    Surrounds – 40’s, 20’s or 25es (50's if your big into dvd-a and sacd, I use the 40's with no regrets)
    Rears – 40’s or 20’s
    With all the money you can save in speaker selection get yourself a 20-39 pc+ (Same height as those 50’s) and some homedepot or radioshack speaker wire.

3. Justin Kregear

Justin Kregear Auditioning

very helpful advice, probably still go with 50's, their only 100 more per pair. I like your recommendation on the sub, I may use your advice.