Need help with HTIB hookup....

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Don:::A, Dec 31, 2003.

1. Don:::A

Don:::A Auditioning

OK, here's the equipment I have:

TV- Panasonic TH-42PA20U/P plasma with 2-tuner PIP
    Receiver- Yamaha HTP-5650
    DVD Player- Yamaha DV-C6660
    Yamaha 100w powered sub and 6.1 surround speakers
    Sony digital cable box
    Toshiba VCR.

I'm pretty clear on connecting the sub and speakers, but would like some advice on the component interconnects. I'm running connections in the wall so need to have this right before I finish the room with drywall.

This is what I've been able to figure out so far, all suggestions and comments welcome:

TV connections:
    -Direct coax cable input
    -S-video input from cable box (do I need separate audio?)
    -Component video in from receiver

Cable Box:
    -Coax cable input
    -S-video out to TV
    -S-video out to receiver

Receiver:
    -Optical video in from DVD
    -S-video in from cable box
    -Component video out to TV

VCR:
    -Coax cable in
    -Composite video out to receiver.

The plasma TV has built in speakers, so I should be able to watch TV using the cable box remote to operate the cable box and TV. If I want to use the PIP feature on the TV, the separate coax feed should enable me to select a different channel.

For movies, I can select the receiver input to the TV, then use the receiver to select a feed from either digital cable TV, DVD, or VCR.

Did I miss anything?

Don

2. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    Hey Don, I'm not the best to help you with this but since no one else has I'll take a stab at it. First, if VCR and TV are cable ready, do you even need the cbl box? I have Direct TV and don't remember. Second, for tv connection you have both coax and s-video from cbl box. I think you only need one. S-video is better of course, but you will need composite rca cables (l & r) for audio. Third, for receiver you say "optical video" in from DVD. Do you mean optical "audio". If so, don't forget the component video in from DVD. If you did mean opt video (although I don't know what you mean by this) don't forget the opt audio in from DVD. And forth, for VCR you say composite video out to receiver. Once again, don't forget the composite audio cables as well. And, if your receiver has on-screen menues, you may need to hook up the monitor out from receiver to tv. Also, don't forget about what the future may have in-store for you. Maybe digital cable or DSS? A spare optical audio cable from near cable box to near the tv may come in handy at a later date. I can't wait for others to pitch in and tell us the many ways I have screwed this up! Anyway, I hope this at least points you in the right direction. By the way. Any chance of doing a "dry run" of hook-ups in the middle of the room before you run the wires in the walls. I think that's what I would do if at all possible. Lots of luck. GENE

3. Don:::A

Gene,

Thanks for the info. Have digital cable now, that why need the cable box. Idea was to have both direct coax cable and s-video from cable box for PIP capabilities on TV.

Is optical only audio? There is an optical connection from DVD to receiver, but have not used it yet....assumed it was for video. Good point on the on-screen programming of receiver.

Did a dry run with everything but the TV, which is backordered till mid-Jan. Thanks for the tips.

Don

4. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    Yes, optical is audio only so you need a video cable(s) as well. Component is best, S-video O.K. too. Since you are running cables in-wall, maybe digital coax (usually color coded orange) would be better as optical cable is fragile. Both work about the same. Most DVD players have both outputs. Gene

5. John S

John S Producer

You wire'n in the wall? Like your line level stuff too?

Hmmmm....

Ok here is my suggestion...

Wire, Composite video, 2 channel analog audio, component video, svideo, a digital coax and an optical coax to each place, reguardless of what it is.

If you do it like this, someday you will be greatfull you did, I can assure you. Does your TV have DVI input?

I'd throw on of those in there too.. :)

6. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    John, if you are still monitoring this, please read my reply to ToddC's post of 12-31-03 in Basics area. Thanks, Gene

7. Johnny Mo

Johnny Mo Agent

I couldn't tell from your post but, if you have HD/digital cable, wouldn't you want a set of Component Videos for the HD signal, or future HD signal from the cable? (or the DVI, like John S mentioned)

8. John S

John S Producer

When we used to build recording studios, and did our in wall wire / connections, we put mulitples of everything possible in the wall. Never regretted those choices once yet.

9. Don:::A

Thanks, guys! All of the components are in the same cabinet, with the exception of the TV that's hanging on an adjacent wall. Only wiring in-wall will be to/from TV, so sounds like I should plan for cable coax, component video, audio, and s-video.

Gene, will also check the other post you mentioned.

Don

10. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    Sorry Don but the other post was for John concerning a different subject. Hope all go's well. Gene