Need help with HT speaker arrangement...

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Adam Nitti, Dec 28, 2005.

1. Adam Nitti

Adam Nitti Auditioning

Hi everyone-

We've recently moved into a house with a smaller living room setup, and I'm trying to figure out a way to retain a home theater setup w/o it looking crappy and subsequently freaking out my wife. :)

The living room area is basically square, but our armoire sits in one of the corners of the room. Its location is mandatory, so I don't have a lot of options there.

I have a jpg image I drew up of the living room setup, but this forum won't let me post a url unless i've posted 15 times. (ARGH!!!.) If anyone else can post it for me, I'd be happy to forward the image.

I don't have any state of the art gear, but would like to purchase a little at a time. I have an older yamaha rxv-690 surround receiver, a pair of bose 301's on stands for mains (currently too wide on stands for the room), a jbl sc305 center channel speaker, and a pair of tiny bose 141's for rear channel (also on stands).

It seems as if I may need to get some floor standing 'skinny' speakers for mains... As for the rear channel stuff, I really don't have a place to put speaker stands... Wall mount would be ideal, but the only solution I know of are the Bose cube speakers.

I need some advice as to how to get setup, as my options for setup appear to be limited. Any advice on gear or placement would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance-

Adam

2. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

Hi Adam.....

You may find that Magnepans are the perfect solution for you. When you get time, look up some reviews and info on either the MMG-W or MG-MC1 speakers. Basically, these are flat, rectangular speakers that mount on your wall and swing into position. If your armoire is in the corner, basically you could mount the Maggies on either side and when you swung them out they'd be in the perfect listening position. Not only that, but they'd look very cool, your wife would probably love how they look, and the sound will be near impossible to beat for the price. The only catch is that you'll need a good, clean 100 wpc to drive them. I don't know if they'll be for you, but they are worth a look. I'd recommend you try ecoustics.com and type "magnepan" in the search box. That should get you started, in addition to visiting www.magnepan.com

Good luck!

3. Dick Knisely

Dick Knisely Second Unit

Adam -- need some clarification. You've got a surround AVR and a 5.0 setup now, right? You didn't mention a sub.

To get the most meaningful comments we need to know what you're trying to do with any replacements and/or additions. Beyond that the approx size of the room, size of the screen and a general idea of the seating position(s) would be helpful.

4. Adam Nitti

Adam Nitti Auditioning

thanks for the replies so far.

alanz: i'll definitely check out those magnepans... thanks.

dick, in answer to your questions: no, i don't currently have a sub. i know i probably should have one. as far as room size and seating positions, i do have a jpg i made up that shows the seating positions and room dimensions. i can't post it up here yet because i don't have enough posts as a new user, but i could email it to you or someone else who could post. screen size is 34" widescreen. room is about 12x12 or so...

thanks again for the help, everyone!

adam

5. Dick Knisely

Dick Knisely Second Unit

We need to know what you're trying to do with any replacements and/or additions -- why replace what you've got? what do you want out of it when your done?

Right off the top, the best addition you could make would be a sub. That room isn't real large so you don't need anything huge.

6. Adam Nitti

Adam Nitti Auditioning

well, my problem right now is space. with the armoire in the corner like it is, i only have about 12" clearance from its front edge to the wall on either side. my speaker stand/bose 301 combo for mains is too large. they won't fit. for starters, i need speaker solution recommendations that are skinny enough to be placed on either side, or some sort of wall mount solution.

a sub i could put behind the armoire w/o too much trouble, as long as it wasn't too wide.

the bose 141's that i were using as rears also were on stands. with our current room setup, there really isn't a place that's non-obtrusive for the left rear speaker... are there some wall-mount solutions for rears that work well?

my center channel speaker i can keep for now. ultimately, i'm looking to replace the mains and the rears and add a sub.

thanks again-

7. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

Paul:

With regard to the wall-mounted Maggies, they need 30 degrees out from the wall, and you can swing them out to the full 90 if need be. Basically what you want to avoid is having too narrow of an angle with the wall. Just to give you some more food for thought if you're concerned about the angle, you could mount the Maggies on the side walls about 3' from the front wall, and then just toss a Maggie center speaker in the middle.....on top of your RPTV or whatever. Looks like you have some nice gear already, so I'd recommend the MG-1s on the sides and a CC3 in the middle. Cross everything over at around 80-100 Hz to the Velodyne and you have one helluva set-up for a very reasonable sum of money. You could even save some cash going with MMG-Ws as mains, but I'd still stick with the CC3 in the center....it's a KILLER center speaker.

As for the back speakers, what I'd probably do is mount them 3' into the room from the rear wall, and then aim the null (side) of the speaker toward the couch when you are watching movies....that way you won't have a speaker beaming right at you, but instead will be hearing reflected sound coming off the side and rear walls. You could also mount them on the rear wall above the couch and play with the angles to see what sounds best. For rears, the MMG-Ws are probably all you'll need. I use them and for $299 a pair you can't beat them. Otherwise, if money isn't a factor, the MG-1s will work great [​IMG]

Hope that helps!

PS. Are you anywhere near Mt. Sunapee, NH?

8. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

Paul....how funny, I was actually referring to the Magnepan CC3 LOL.....Didn't even realize that the aeriel had the same model number [​IMG] So, that being said, I'd go with the Magnepan CC3 in the middle....that will give you a very large, open soundstange, particularly if you mounted the Maggie mains on the side wall instead of the front one. As good as that Aeriel center is, it would stick out like a sore thumb with Magnepan mains. Sounds like you'll have to compromise in back, but it's a small price to pay for what Magnepans can do.

I'm glad you've been through some of our 'Maggie Update' thread....I've had a lot of fun in that thread, and you'd definitely be welcomed as an honorary Alan [​IMG] We can never have too many of those!

A good buddy of mine lives in Mt. Sunapee and owns a little placed called "Tuohy's Tavern". Just thought I'd check and see if you knew the joint [​IMG]