What's new

Need help with HD and DVD connections to Pioneer plasma TV (1 Viewer)

larry ge

Auditioning
I'm attempting to connect my new pioneer plasma tv to my reciever which is a marantz sr880 mk11.I was told the best connections are Component cables.I'm not sure if my reciever has them.on the audio side there are two imputs for dss/tv.next to that on the audio side there is one input and right next to that a s-video imput.Thanks on advance for any advice you can give me.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
It doesn't sound like your receiver has componenent inputs. But it would help if you identified the makes and models of your various items.

Most DVD players have component outputs, and you should be able to connect the DVD player directly to your plasma monitor via component connnection.

M.

larry ge

Auditioning
Michael,The dvd player i'm using is a pioneer dv-45a,which does have component video out.should i connect this directly into the plasma(pioneer 1000hd)?is this type of connection better than digital coax into my reciever?If i do connect the dvd directly into the plasma how should i connect the plasma into my reciever?

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
Some clarifications....

Component connects are for video, possibly the best u have there. Connect ur DVD player directly to the TV and ur set.
Digital coax is for digital sound. Connect this from ur DVD player to the corresponding coax in at ur receiver.
U actually do not need to connect ur plasma to the receiver as the latter will only process the sound and not mess with the video. This is the case unless u also want the sound from say cable TV or sattelite coming out of ur receiver. Otherwise the link between ur DVD player and the plasma would suffice.

larry ge

Auditioning
My plasma does not have external speakers,If i dont connect it to the reciever how will it produce sound?also,if i only have a s-video input(on my reciever) will my hdtv not be optimal?I plan on using a hdtv cable box from comcast.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Larry, I recommend spending some time with our Beginner's Primer and FAQ. Use the link in my signature.

also,if i only have a s-video input(on my reciever) will my hdtv not be optimal?
You can get regular programming through an S-video connection, but not HD programming.

M.

larry ge

Auditioning
Thanks for the advice.Tell me if i have this right.i'm going to use component cables from my dvd to plasma,coax from dvd to reciever.s-video from plasma to dvd.if this is correct how do i adress the hdtv cable box? also since my reciver does not have component inputs ,is there any way i can view hdtv broadcast?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
also since my reciver does not have component inputs ,is there any way i can view hdtv broadcast?
As stated in my previous message, you will run a component connection from the cable box to the plasma TV and a digital audio connection (coax or optical) to the receiver.

M.

larry ge

Auditioning
Michael,these are the imputs/outputs i have on the plasma: Inputs/Output:

4 Video Inputs/ 2 Video Outputs
(1) Composite IN and (1) OUT
(1) S-Video IN
(1) 5 Connection RGB/HD Compatible
RGB Signal (G on Sync Compatible)
HD Component Video Signal
(1) D-sub 15/HD Compatible
RGB Signal (G on Sync Compatible)
HD Component Video Signal
RS-232C for Custom Control Applications
Pioneer SR In/Out

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
Wow...u r indeed in a bit of a quandry. I wish I could just come over and connect everything that needs connecting.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I'm retitling this thread and moving it to Display Devices, since I'm not familiar with that Pioneer model (and there's no listing for it at Pioneer's site).

EDIT: I forgot that Pioneer lists the Elite products separately. Is this the Elite Pro-1000 plasma display?

M.

larry ge

Auditioning
Not sure if this clarifies anything,just spoke to the folks at pioneer.the plasma has four inputs. 1st is a analog rgb input(looks like small computer plug)..2nd is a g b r(assuming composite)...3rd s-video...4th video-output.i was wondering if i can use the 1st input (rgb) for the hdtv cable box and the input 2 for the dvd?

John_F

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Larry,

I would suggest checking out the plasma forum on avsforum.com. There are a lot of Pioneer plasma owners over there.

I have a Pioneer 433cmx. I don't know how similar it is to yours but... I believe it has the same inputs as yours. Mine has 1 set of 5 connectors for RGB/component which can do double duty as component or RGB input. I connect my DVD player to my plasma using component cables. The connectors on the plasma are BNC, so you either need RCA/BNC adapters or need to buy a component cables with RCA connectors on one end and BNC on the other. You also need to have the DVD player on (so a signal is being sent to the plasma) and in the setup screen of the plasma tell the plasma you are using a component signal. Also, I believe the D-sub 15 can do double duty and handle component input, you just need to buy the appropriate cable.

I would suggest re-reading the manual and visiting avsforum.com.

Good luck,
John Flegert

larry ge

Auditioning
Just spoke to comcast and they claim to plug ther hdtv cable box into the rgb input on the plasma.does the sound correct?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Assuming you have the Elite Pro-1000 plasma display, yes it sounds correct, but with the following caveats:

1. You have two (2) RGB inputs. Each requires a different kind of connector.

2. You have to configure the RGB input AFTER connecting the DVD player or HD cable box. Review your manual, which has detailed illustrations.

3. The RGB connection only deals with video. Audio is a separate issue (see my previous posts).

M.

larry ge

Auditioning
Thanks Michael ,I'm planning on connecting the audio from the hdtv cable box via digital coax.just to be clear this is what i am planning on doing:
component connection from dvd to plasma(for video)
digital coax from dvd to reciever(for audio)
rgb connection from hdtv cable box into plasma(for video)
digital coax from htvs cable box into reciever(for audio)

larry ge

Auditioning
Help...new problem.
the hdtv cable box (motorola dct5100)does not have a rgb output.it has a dvi output.can i use a rgb-to component cable to connect my dvd to the plasma(into the rgb input)?If yes will this connection be less than optimal?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Larry, you keep asking the same question. For the last time:

With the right kind of cable and proper configuration of the input, you can connect your DVD player's component output to either of the RGB inputs on the TV. The easiest would be Input 2, which will work with a basic three-plug component cable. Your manual has very clear illustrations and instructions for this. Please read it.

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks