Need help with Frontpage 2003 (import a site)

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Alf S, Apr 27, 2006.

1. Alf S

Alf S Banned
    BANNED

Alfer
    I volunteered to help a local cat adoption center (where we just adopted out cat) update their website.

The lady who does it uses FP, but not sure what version...she really doesn't know much about the "how to's" so I need your help. [​IMG]

How do I correctly import their website to my home PC so I can update the site and publish it?

I looked at the "Import" section of FP2003 but not sure how it all works and what all I need to get it done right.

Any thoughts? I did ask her to get the user name and password she says "she uses to do her updates"

Thanks for any input you can offer.

Regards
    Alf

2. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

You'll have to log into the site first. Click File/Open and you'll get a normal dialog box. In the file name box, type in the URL as www.website.com and click open. You should then be prompted for the login. Enter the information and the site directory should load. If it loads in the "open site" box, just click open again.

If you really feel you need to download a copy of the site (you can make your changes live and save them without doing the work on your locan machine), click File/Publish Site. Check the "File System" selection and specify a location on your machine and click OK. Should be a straight forward process from there.

It might be a long process.....FP is very slow at upload/download processes, so making your changes live is much faster....guess it just depends on how involved the changes you need to make are.

Good luck.

3. Alf S

Alf S Banned
    BANNED

Alfer
    Thanks Mike!