What's new

Need help with first time setup (1 Viewer)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
If you actually LOOK AT the back the SC67...
It has "main zone" HDMI 1 and HDMI 2.(I would use the "kitchen" here on Main HDMI 2)
It has a COMPONENT video output. Your Wii and your Cable STB can use component video...then that will be ADDED to the HDMI for Main zone and Zone 4. The only "problem" is what room you choose to use for component video and your PS3/Xbox. (unless you can "double up" the PS3 or Xbox)
HDMI zone 4 has access to EVERYTHING the main zone has.
Your main room is where you need a direct HDMI connection to the AVR to then go to the projector. Can YOU tell the difference between DD and Dolby True HD? Can YOU tell the difference between DTS and DTS HD/MA-HR?

nthydro

Grip
Real Name
Chris Lee
schan1269 said:
If you actually LOOK AT the back the SC67...
It has "main zone" HDMI 1 and HDMI 2.(I would use the "kitchen" here on Main HDMI 2)
It has a COMPONENT video output. Your Wii and your Cable STB can use component video...then that will be ADDED to the HDMI for Main zone and Zone 4. The only "problem" is what room you choose to use for component video and your PS3/Xbox. (unless you can "double up" the PS3 or Xbox)
HDMI zone 4 has access to EVERYTHING the main zone has.
Your main room is where you need a direct HDMI connection to the AVR to then go to the projector. Can YOU tell the difference between DD and Dolby True HD? Can YOU tell the difference between DTS and DTS HD/MA-HR?
I see. So Zone 1 and 4 is for hdmi output and 2 and 3 I'm guessing is for audio only? Sounds like a great receiver. And I wouldn't have to deal with matrix switches and whatnot.
And no I can't tell the difference between the DD and Dolby True HD cause honestly I don't know what they are. But I get your point. It's a subjective thing. I just want to know if the quality of the speakers or receiver/device play any role when it comes to that stuff.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Every HDMI output(which on the SC67 is Main Zone HDMI 1 and 2...and a SEPARATE Zone 4) is audio AND video.
The Zone 2 is component video and analog audio...but it does also include a subwoofer.
So, Zone 2 is 1080i/720P with 2.1. All analog though on the audio. You have three component video/analog audio connections. The Wii and your cable STB should use those. Pick whatever you want for the 3rd input.
I hardly think you you "need" more than the cable STB for the kitchen. So, instead, make Zone 2 the kitchen.
The rest of the house...since you have 3 HDMI out(of which you can have two different sources at the same time) that will have the ability to carry 1080P/5.1. (no I haven't "read the manual", that is YOUR JOB if you are really considering this AVR...Zone 4 HDMI "might be" 2.0 only??? I have no idea)
There are limitations to every set-up. The limitation here is you have a maximum of 4 displays...using two different cables(HDMI and component).
What is DOES DO for you is eliminate the matrix/splitter mess and "720P/2.0" everywhere of what you were trying to do. I seriously doubt you "need" everything...everywhere.
Edit...
Matter of fact, you "could" run the 2nd HDMI and Zone 4 HDMI into a matrix...
http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Matrix-Inputs-Outputs/dp/B005H4Y6LS/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1350597869&sr=1-1&keywords=2x2+hdmi+matrix
And:
Nobody said you couldn't run, to one of the TV's..component video/analog and HDMI...then switch THAT TV between component and HDMI.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
nthydro said:
Ty,
Is "lostless dts/dolby" a big deal or is something I can live without?
Whether its a "big deal" is a matter of opinion. In my opinion its greatly dependent on your ultimate goals. If a big screen and nice sound system is your ultimate goal then 1080p and lossless should be the route you take. That having been said, blu ray will likely remain the only source of lossless, most of your listening will continue to be dolby digital. My fingers are crossed that higher resolution audio will be available in next generation game consoles, making that an unforeseen second source.

nthydro

Grip
Real Name
Chris Lee
schan1269 said:
Every HDMI output(which on the SC67 is Main Zone HDMI 1 and 2...and a SEPARATE Zone 4) is audio AND video.
The Zone 2 is component video and analog audio...but it does also include a subwoofer.
So, Zone 2 is 1080i/720P with 2.1. All analog though on the audio. You have three component video/analog audio connections. The Wii and your cable STB should use those. Pick whatever you want for the 3rd input.
I hardly think you you "need" more than the cable STB for the kitchen. So, instead, make Zone 2 the kitchen.
The rest of the house...since you have 3 HDMI out(of which you can have two different sources at the same time) that will have the ability to carry 1080P/5.1. (no I haven't "read the manual", that is YOUR JOB if you are really considering this AVR...Zone 4 HDMI "might be" 2.0 only??? I have no idea)
There are limitations to every set-up. The limitation here is you have a maximum of 4 displays...using two different cables(HDMI and component).
What is DOES DO for you is eliminate the matrix/splitter mess and "720P/2.0" everywhere of what you were trying to do. I seriously doubt you "need" everything...everywhere.
Edit...
Matter of fact, you "could" run the 2nd HDMI and Zone 4 HDMI into a matrix...
http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Matrix-Inputs-Outputs/dp/B005H4Y6LS/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1350597869&sr=1-1&keywords=2x2+hdmi+matrix
And:
Nobody said you couldn't run, to one of the TV's..component video/analog and HDMI...then switch THAT TV between component and HDMI.
Wow this receiver sounds awesome. 3 component should definitely be enough for my needs. And the way you laid out the rest of the setup makes a lot sense. It's not 100% perfect but it's close enough. And like you said, a lot simpler than the mess I had originally planned. I'm just not sure why I would need to run zone 2 and 4 into a matrix for?
All in all, this is probably the best solution for my needs. Only problem now is convincing my girlfriend we need a $1200 receiver. Might have to wait for a price drop before I can get it :(
And BTW, I know it's my job to do the research. And trust me I have. It's just with my lack of knowledge and the complexity of this whole hdmi issue, I am a bit overwhelmed. Thank you very much for your great help and advice. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks