What's new

Need Help With Eye Doctor (1 Viewer)

Todd K

Second Unit
OK, it's been a few years since I have last had my eyes examined. I wear contact lenses (standard one-month disposables, no stigmatism or anything), with glasses as a backup.

I have been trying to do research as to whether to see an Opthalmologist or an Optometrist. I basically decided to see an Opthalmologist since it's been a while and he/she can do the other standard tests (glaucoma, etc) during the course of the exam. I don't think I've ever seen just an ordinary Optometrist.

So I called an Opthalmologist's office and the receptionist started talking about extra charges for contact lens fittings and whatnot.

So, really the main question I'm asking is, when you get an eye exam from a doctor, and they give you a prescription, does it matter whether you get glasses or contacts after that? I mean, from the last time I ordered contact lenses, I already know what size of contacts I take. Do my eyes need to be measured again?

I just want to be able to take my prescription paper and use it to order either contacts or glasses. Is this possible?

Thanks for your attention, if anyone is knowledgeable on this topic.

Todd

LewB

Screenwriter
I ran into this situation once myself. I guess that the opthamologist wants to take the measurements before writing the prescription, since wrong sized contcats can cause damage to the eye.
Why trust someone elses numbers when you are the one responsible (liable) ?

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
Most of the time, they will have to refract ur eyes since its been quite a while since u've seen them. Prescription contacts or glasses can change over time but not always. A yearly check-up is actually recommended for everyone wearing glasses and even twice a year for contact lens wearers....with more higher grades.
It would depend on whether the practice has an optometrist or not. Most of the bigger eye places would have optoms (as they r commonly referred to) to check out the more "ordinary" cases.
Now u should be able to walk away from an office with just the prescription and yes, u can use this for either glasses or contacts. That is if u don't have one of those toric lenses and such, meaning ur not needing any of those "astigmatism" contact lenses. Contact lens fitting, the measurements, etc r done for these kinds of specialty contacts otherwise its just gonna be the usual stuff they'll use.
I hope I have answered ur questions....and if ur asking why I know,....u got it from the horse's mouth, I am an ophthalmologist. And yes...u have to have an "h" after the p in opHthalmology

Todd K

Second Unit
Ah, so it be. I was always forgetting the first "L," too.

Anyhoo, I got an appointment with an Ophthalmologist on Friday April 16th, and I specifically asked about this issue.

They said the most I'd have to pay for a lens fitting would be $25, and that insurance should probably cover it. So I'm happy with this. Besides, after visiting 1-800-Contacts, the lenses I wear don't have very much variation in size, anyway. I wear proclear compatibles and the Base curve can either be 8.6 or 8.2 (I take 8.6) and the diameter can only be 14.2.

Thanks for all your input, fellas.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks