What's new

Need help with DIY sub project (1 Viewer)

Kudret

Stunt Coordinator
I just bought 2 original SVS drivers and would like to try building my first DIY sub. Here is the sketch of my basement HT room which is 17' wide, 33' long (I am using 18' for HT) and 8' high.
ht1.gif

These are the three options that I am considering:
1. There is a 1' wide, 2' deep (and 8' high) space to the right of the RF speaker that I can use to build a sealed enclosure for the two drivers (see the two cirles in the picture).
2. Build a coffee table like sub and put the two drivers in it. Size to be determined.
3. There is a separate storage space, 7' to the right of the RS speaker for an IB type sub. From what I've read though, probably this location is not suitable for IB.
I use my HT for 50% music and 50% movies. If you were in this situation, what would you build? Thanks.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I would go with location 1.
With the coffee table sub, although it's an unobtrusive solution, you are losing the benefit of the corner directing the sound. It will sound quieter there.
With the location in the rear, I had a similar setup in my previous home because of space constraints. The sub would sound "disconnected" from the rest of the audio at times.
Thats my opinion and I'm sticking to it!
:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks