Need Help with Digital Static noise Please!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Colin+M, Apr 21, 2005.

1. Colin+M

Colin+M Stunt Coordinator

i have a yamaha htr-5790 that i have only had for about 2 weeks, and today i noticed that when i use the digital inputs on it(for movies, music, xbox etc.) i get this crackling static noise, its not like loud, but def. noticeable in all of my speakers. And its not just one one input, its on all the optical and coaxial inputs. When i use Direct Stereo(thru the digital inputs) or multi-channel input its gone so i'm thinking that there is a problem with the receivers DSP. It seems to only occur when the receiver is processing the signal, which is ALOT. Why have a nice processor if you can't use it? It's really perplexing b/c it just started today, it was fine last night. what could have possibly caused this?

What do you guys think? Should i send it in for warranty repair or is there a quick fix i can do? I don't mind sending it in, i just hate being with a receiver for who knows how long.

Thanks in advance

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Yep, I would have it checked out under warranty.

3. tommy_E

tommy_E Agent

Colin+m...

I have the same problem with my yammie HTR-5790. Pisses me off because no one has a solution for it. When I unhook the audio cables from my direct tv box{lacks the digital} the noise goes down a little bit, but not enough. Theres nothing wrong with the unit I think, but I dont know why it does this.

And yes with the DSP modes on, the static "noise" gets worse, but I dunno I'll keep searching around for a solution and let you know.

ciao

4. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Maybe the store's got a 30 day return policy?

5. Tauron

Tauron Auditioning

Hi. First post; read other threads occasionally when contemplating purchases.

I searched and this thread came closest.

I have an XBOX 360 connected to a Denon AVR-3805 via digital optical and analog. With all the system's sounds (games, videos, music; not noticed on DVDs, yet) I get a faint static coming through every speaker, regardless if I'm using digital or analog. The catch is that the static remains even when the volume is muted, which ruins any of my theories. The volume drowns it out at about -40db. The problem is not apparent from other sources, but I have not tried hooking the optical up to another player (coaxial and 5.1 in work perfect). The BOX is 3 months old and the Denon about 17 months. The only other thing to add (and I don't think it relates) is that the Denon has a quick circut cutoff in case of short circut or overheating; this has been activating even at low volume occasionally, as of late. I'm 99.9% certain my speakers are all wired correctly.

If you have any ideas, I'd love to hear.

Thanks,
    Nathan

6. Tauron

Tauron Auditioning

I spoke too soon.

I disconnected the analog inputs and...no more static! Note to self: no more redundant wiring.

Now I'm curious/dissapointed about the internals of the Denon.