What's new

Need Help With Design (1 Viewer)

Tommy_Cushing

Auditioning
Real Name
Tommy Cushing
I have a third car garage that I will be turning into a media room. The dimensions are 16'10" x 11'10" with a 9 foot ceiling. I would like to use a Benq DLP projector with a 92" screen, but is this room to small for this setup?

h**p://cushing.no-ip.com/MediaRoom/images/media_room.jpg

Thanks.

SteveLeach

Stunt Coordinator
There really isn't a correct answer to this question. Some like bigger screens that others.
If it were me, I'd go with a slightly smaller screen, say 40x72 which would give you a diag measurement of ~82 inches. This would put your 1st row of seating at 9 feet. Which is what you show in your drawing. But that's just me.

Here is a quick and dirty test you can do, to determin what screen size you prefer. Go to your favorite theater, sit in your favorite seat. Close one eye, extend both arms out in front of you, palms facing the screen. Spread your fingers apart as wide as you can. Now looking at the tips of your little fingers, line them up with both edges of the screen. Note how your thumbs overlap.
Now go into your HT to be, and place a chair at your desired seating position, do the same thing with your hands. Only this time you over lap your thumbs the same as they were in the Theater. Have a helper draw lines or put tape on your wall that line up with your little fingers. Measure the distance between the lines. Using the 16x9 ratio you can determin how tall the screen should be for that width. You now have your screen sized the way you like it.

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks