What's new

Need help with decision, Onkyo 595 or Kenwood VR-510 ? (1 Viewer)

Jim Carr

Stunt Coordinator
I'm helping my buddy make the best decision here.. I don't know *too* much about HT, I'm still new, but he knows less. I would say Onk hands down.. but I'm biased (Onk 898 myself) ;)
Looking at the specs of the Kenwood it looks like a great receiver.. what do you guys think? Or is there another one out there better than both of these for @ 400 bucks?
thanks, as always, guys!
Jim

Mark JJ

Auditioning
I have the 510 and it's just OK. The Kenwood works fine but the input selection and remote is not as straight-forward as I would like and I'm still unsure about how it rates "spec-wise" since the power output is rated at a higher THD level than anybody else lists theirs. Kind of makes me wonder, you know? If I had it to do over again, I would look at the Onkyo real hard. The HKs are nice but there are a lot of questions about reliability; I see re-conditioned units for sale everywhere.

To summarize: The 510 works fine; doesn't over-heat or clip (that I can tell), the sound just isn't anything that seperates it from everybody else.

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
I'm still unsure about how it rates "spec-wise" since the power output is rated at a higher THD level than anybody else lists theirs.
That's because Kenwood rates their 510 in peak power, so of course 110 watts peak will yield a THD% of 0.7%.(I wish Kenwood would rate their receivers in RMS, because their RMS ratings are 0.06% at 55-60 watts). Onkyo and some others rate their receivers in RMS power which results in lower THD%, if Onkyo and others that rate in RMS were to show their peak THD%'s they would be similar to the Kenwood.

I think the 510 would be a good choice for great bang for the buck.

Nick G

Stunt Coordinator
Jim, I have the Onkyo 595 driving three Paradigm Studio 20s across the front and Mini Monitors in the back, and am very satisfied. Seems solid, plays loud and clear, nice remote and user friendly. I am not familiar with the Kenwood so I can not comment on it, but I have no hesitation recommending the 595.

Nick

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks