What's new

Need HELP with component video (1 Viewer)

Curt_H

Auditioning
I have had my Toshiba 51h83 for a week now hooked up to my Denon 2803 via standard gold A/V cable. Today, I went and got an A/R component video cable to run the receiver to the TV. Long story short, it doesn't work. I set the tv to the ColorStream input I have the cable plugged into and I get nothing.

Neither the receiver nor tv gives me any indication why it shouldn't work. Both manuals just tell me to plug the cable in and turn in on...

Has anyone else had this problem? Something I need to do? Incidentally, there are two component inputs on the back of the tv and I did try them both...

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
If you take the component video out from your dvd player directly to the TV, do you see anything? What model of dvd player do you have? Is it one of the older ones?

Anyway, I assume you have already hooked component video from the DVD player to the receiver's "dvd component in" and then hook component from the component video out of the receiver to the TV's componenet video in.

Curt_H

Auditioning
Yes, i tried direct component cable from the dvd player to the hdtv and didn't seem to get a signal. I would say that I have a second generation panasonic. It's an A120 with component out.

I just don't know if it's the TV, a setting somewhere, or the cable. This will really bum me out if i can't use component with my new tv.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Before you run video through the receiver, make sure you can feed the TV directly from the DVD player.

Today, I went and got an A/R component video cable to ..
You need 2 sets of cables. One from the DVD player to the receiver, the other from the receiver to the TV.

Here is the rule:

If you run Component video to the receiver, the video will only be visible on the Component Output from the receiver.

Your receiver will NOT convert one video type to another. Anything you send via SVideo will only be visible on the SVideo Output. Same with Composite. Same with Component.

(Sorry to break the bad news to you :frowning: )

Here is another point: Unless you have 2 or more component sources, go directly to the TV and not through the receiver.

Curt_H

Auditioning
As I said, I did try to go directly to the tv. That's what has me confused. DVD component out to TV component in. No signal.

And it happens on both component inputs so I'm wondering if it has something to do with a setting on the TV I don't know about.

I DO understand that receiver doesn't act as a converter, merely a passthrough.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Curt, on the back of that Samsung there are most likely two sets of component-video inputs. One would be a wide-bandwidth connection for 480p and 1080i sources (which may be labled "HDTV"), and the other would be for 480i sources. Since your Panasonic player is a four-year-old model, it only outputs an interlaced signal. Connect it directly to the Samsung's standard component-video input. Then you should see a nice picture.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
There isn't a setting on the TV to enable the component inputs, they should just work.

That player has a "Video Out Select" switch on the back to enable the component outputs. Did you do that?

Curt_H

Auditioning
The samsung with DLP was the one I really wanted but budget constraints...

I got the toshiba for less than half what the samsung is selling for.

Ok, i just bought a couple more wires as the ones I had weren't long enough.

Greg, dead on about that switch. Sometimes the dumbest things defeat the smartest men. So now the component works with the dvd player, which was my goal anyway. The ONLY reason I had thought about trying to route it thru the receiver is for simplicity's sake. I'm not the only one that has to operate the equipment, but oddly, I'm the only one who can if I don't keep it as an all-in-one. Well, they'll just have to deal with it.

I had another AR cable that wasn't completely plugged all the way in on the back of the receiver which was causing some nightmarish confusion. I can't get to the back of the receiver while anything is plugged in. It's a living hell.

So now, everything works, for the most part. Can't get a DTS track from my dvd player to play, but I'm chalking it up to it being an old player.

Thanks for the help.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I'm the only one who can if I don't keep it as an all-in-one.
If you make your system hard to use, you wont get much support for the next .. toy.

Try this: Run SVideo from EVERYTHING to the receiver, then SVideo from the receiver to the TV. Leave the TV set to see this input and teach the family to do all the switching through the receiver. This makes the system easy to use.

But when YOU sit down, you take the extra time to flip the TV to view the direct DVD feed for serious DVD watching. Just remember to flip the TV back to see the SVideo input for the family.

(Oh, old VCR? Go to Radio Shack and buy one of those $20 Composite-To-SVideo adaptors. The quality is not great - but I doubt you will use the VCR much anyway).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks