Need Help with choosing room color

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Derrick G, Nov 29, 2001.

1. Derrick G

Derrick G Stunt Coordinator

I just bought a house and unfortunatly I won't be able to have a dedicated home theater room. The living room will be doubling as a home theater room. What is a good color to paint the walls and ceiling for a room doing double duty? Thanks in advance!!

Derrick G

2. Scott-C

Scott-C Supporting Actor

Hmm, tough question since your HT room pulls double-duty. Ideally, you want a dark color on the walls. In fact, in a perfect HT environment, many will tell you to paint your screen wall (and other walls too) black. However, I've heard and seen (on the 'Net) many cool theaters that utilize grey, dark green, burgundy, etc. Ultimately, it's your choice and you have to decide what you'll like aesthetically.

The reason for dark colors in a HT is to cut down on light that may be reflected back onto the screen, which will "wash out" the picture.

I don't know if this is helpful to you. Ultimately, it's a very subjective choice so it's a difficult question to answer definitively.

Good luck!

3. Scott Page

Scott Page Stunt Coordinator

Derrick,

I had the same delemma in my bsmt HT which is also the family room and provides access to bsmt bedrooms. I painted the side walls white and the back wall and ceiling hunter green. It took 3 heavy coats of the green to get good solid coverage but it looks really nice. It really fades to black when watching a movie in the dark and the white side walls aren't bothersome at all. Dark grey would look nice to.

4. Jeff Loughridge

Jeff Loughridge Stunt Coordinator

My $.02...

My room is dedicated, so I painted my front wall and ceiling flat black. I painted the side walls a burgundy, actually it's called English Rose in Behr Paint, at Home Depot. It took three coats, AND a tinted primer to fully cover the walls. I left the bottom 30" of each side wall unpainted and put 36" high gray carpet on the lower part of the wall to help minimize reflections. I am also hanging acoustic diffusors and corner bass traps on the upper part of the walls, to further attenuate reflections.