Need help with cheap "garage" subwoofer setup

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Chad Sunderland, Oct 4, 2004.

1. Chad Sunderland

Chad Sunderland Stunt Coordinator

Aug 22, 2002
    Hi, I am in the process of building a new garage...and I want a decent sound system in it. I want to do this as cheaply as possible, and use mostly components I already have. I'm also going to be hooking up a TV and a DVD player in there.

So far, I have the wires ran for the 4 surround speakers, just 4 KLH bookshelves I bought during a clearance sale at Best Buy.

I need to buy a HT receiver, and I'm just going to pick up something cheap around $200-300.

My question is...I have 2 extra Pioneer car subwoofers lying around. I know these are far from optimal, but it's a garage and I'd somehow like to run these off the center channel of the receiver. Any suggestions on how to do this, or how it will work? I'm guessing I will need to wire them in series to get an 8ohm load, but what about a crossover? Any suggestions there? Thanks
  2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Aug 5, 1999
    No, that won’t work well at all.

As you mentioned, you will have no crossover. The subs will operate full range.

When you play CDs the only way the signal will be sent to the center is if the receiver is set for Pro Logic. This means anything that would appear in both L and R speakers (i.e., “phantom center”) will be directed to the center. Say goodbye to the vocals, guitar solos, etc. – you’ll only hear as much of them as the subs running full-range can reproduce.

Same for regular DVDs. The only way the center will get any signal at all is if you tell the receiver you have a center speaker. That means all dialog will directed to the center.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt
  3. Jimi C

Jimi C Screenwriter

Feb 22, 2004
    My kenwood has a 6th channel amp that can be used for a rear surround or to power a subwoofer, maybe you should pick up one of those, there are plenty of them on ebay for around $150-$200, Ecost had them a few months ago but i think they are gone now. Im sure there are other receivers that offer that feature as well.
  4. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

Feb 19, 2002
    Be careful, most car subs run at 1 or 2 ohms, so even in series they will probably pull 4 ohms. It could cause issues with a cheaper receiver.

Your best bet is to get a cheap car sub amp and use the sub pre-out. But then you will need an AC->DC converter.