What's new

Need help with center channel placement (height). Picture included for reference (1 Viewer)

KyleT

Stunt Coordinator
OK here's the deal... I'm in the process of building up my home theater in the area pictured below. This is going to require a bit of imagination since I don't have everything in the picture below, but follow with me here.

I've got some Paradigm Signature S4 V2s for my L and R channels roughly where those Polk LSi 15s are in the picture, though centered better. They're on 23" stands so they're actually at almost exactly the same height as those LSi15s, too.

I WILL have a fixed screen about 92" in size hanging down in front of that dormer window starting about 4-6 inches from the ceiling... to give you an idea of how big a 92" screen is in that room, it will span the entire width of the flat/top portion of the ceiling.

Maybe I should draw it out but I'm guessing a 16:9 screen that's that wide would come down maybe 2/3rds of the way down the angled part of the wall.

My choices are to either put the center channel on a stand that puts the center at about 2/3rds the height of the L & R channels, OR I can place it up at the top of the ceiling above the screen.

I've been told to keep the center as close to the actual picture as possible... the ceiling mounted option would have it right up against the top of the picture.

But I've also heard to keep it roughly the same height as your L&R speakers and in that case it should be on the stand, but then it'd going to be 2-3 feet away from the picture.

I'm just guessing here but I'm guessing that the stand option is preferred... just wanted to make sure, and also wanted to see if there were any other options I wasn't thinking of?

Thanks!

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Personally I would put it on a stand under the screen. It's in a more direct path to the seating area, for one, and you won't have to try to mount it up high which wouldn't be very fun trying to angle it correctly. More important than keeping the CC close to the screen is keeping an even plane (or close to it) across the left, center and right front speakers.

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
I'd second the stands choice - will help with center to left and center to right imaging and panning as well.

SherardP

Stunt Coordinator
I use the Lovan M2 center stand under my screen, it allows excellent flexibility and provides the ability to tilt the center toward ear level. Very nice.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The ideal would be an acoustically transparent screen with the center behind it. The second option would be to put it below the screen.

chuckg

Supporting Actor
I agree with on a stand under the picture, and add that you should pull your L and R speakers out from the wall, in line with the screen and center speaker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oldtv
Recent bookmarks