Need Help with Center Channel Hiss

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark_x, Jan 24, 2002.

1. Mark_x

Mark_x Auditioning

Hi...

I recently took the plunge and started getting my HT setup.

Here is my equip. at this point:

Denon AVR 3802

Energy EX:L 26s fronts

Energy EX:L 16s rears

Energy S10.2 sub

Energy C2 center

The next item to purchase is the tv. Right now I have an old (7 years) Panasonic 27".

Here is my problem:

I noticed when I set my center channel on top of the tv, I could hear some hiss/static coming from the tweeter. It is not very loud, but is noticeable if you put your ear up to the speaker. The strange thing is, when I turn off my tv, it goes away.

So at first I assumed that the speaker wire was picking up some interference from the tv. I unhooked the center channel from the wire, and the hiss was still there. If I lift the speaker about 6" off the tv, or place it under the tv, the hiss goes away.

To determine if the center speaker was bad, I placed each of my rears (EX:L 16s) on top of the tv, one at a time. They also picked up the hiss.

The only other tv I have in the house is a 12 year old 13". I placed the center on top of it and the hiss was still there.

As I mentioned, the hiss is not very loud. In fact, you can't even really notice it when watching a movie. But I am concerned that something might be wrong with the speaker. I am planning on upgrading the tv to a Toshiba 50HX81 within 6 months. Do you think I will have the same problem on the new tv? Do older TVs just give off more interference?

I guess I could always take my center to the store and place it on top of some of the new TVs and see if the hiss is still there, but I wanted to get your opinions first.

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions.

Mark

2. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Since your getting a t.v. in 6 months, the two best fix I can think of is either placing it on a stand under the t.v. or placing some kind hard base type material underneath the center channel. The hiss can be present because of touch or actually by proximity. Meaning something in the t.v. itself is close enough to create the hiss. Hopefully with something between the t.v. will lift the center channel high enough to stop the hiss. Something that may be an 1/2 inch or an inch might help. You can see the distance by holding the center channel up until you stop hearing the hiss.

3. SteveRS

SteveRS Stunt Coordinator

It could be an electro-magnetic interference problem.
    Are your HT components plugged into a line conditioner?
    I was having a hiss problem on all speakers.
    I tried a Monster 2000 surge suppressor/power line conditioner that cut the hiss/noise floor down very low at high SPL.