Need Help With Cat Picking Carpet

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
Reaction score
I have had my cat for 6 years, and recently had some carpet installed on the stairs. She has this one spot that she is picking so bad the carpet is almost ruined there.

I was wondering, is there a spray or something I can do to stop her. I can't have her declawed, and don't know what to do, but something has to be done soon. Thanks in advance.

Brandon

David Brown Eyes

Second Unit
Reaction score
give her a piece of carpet she can scratch on. It is best to try and provide alternatives for your cat.

Tony Whalen

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Scratching posts work wonders in my house.

Check out pet-stores and/or your vet. There are "repellent" products available. I've never had to use any, but I've seen 'em around.

Zen Butler

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Sisal Rope posts long enough for "kitty" to extend fully. A nice 36" should do. Pick up a fishing rod type play toy, play with "kitty" around the post, he/she will eventually get the idea. Very important is a nice wide base that come with nicer posts. If tips over even once it's all over. He/she will never use it again. Takes a bit of time, I keep two in my flat, but he tends to use only the one strategically placed behind the couch. Some have had good luck with cedar posts, which are a tinge more expensive and "hit or miss" as far as cats using them.

BrettB

Producer
Reaction score
"Need Help With Cat Picking Carpet"

Not a good idea. While cats aren't truly color blind they do have trouble with shades of red. Their interior decorating instincts in general are quite questionable as well. Pick the carpet yourself.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions, will give them a try and hope something works!!

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer
Reaction score
Because you were trying to crash the thread, Calvin. If all you want to do is rile people up, go to some other site.

CalvinCarr

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Actually I wasn't. I did make a joke on the first response but not on the second one. We had cats when I was a kid and my dad made a scratching post with carpet just like th other posters said. My mom bought a can of cat nip that they sell in the pet stores and she sprayed it on the post. The cats would go nuts running around.

I apologize if my comments offended anyone.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GlobalImages