Need help with cables!

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by JakeGreen, May 11, 2004.

1. JakeGreen

JakeGreen Stunt Coordinator

I need a "Y Pb Pr" cable and a "digital coaxial audio cable". What are some inexpensive yet still good quality cables I could order or pickup? I need to get some soon, so please help me out.

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Jake,

Don’t know what your definition of “inexpensive” is, but Radio Shack’s Gold series cables are usually a good bet for the price.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. JakeGreen

Well, I was shooting for $50 of less for both of the cables.

4. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

got a TARGET nearby?

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

The coaxial-digital cable is simply any video cable (This is what the designers of the SPDIF format had in mind: a 75 ohm video cable). So a inexpensive Radio Shack or AR Pro video cable should work fine.

Component Cable:

Here you have some choices. But first: are you running standard component video or Progressive/HD video? Component cables are designed for a 1940's standard which maxed out at about 4 Mhz. If you are running Progressive or HD video, you really want to find a cable designed for the higher-frequency signals.

Here are some good choices:

Radio Shack has clearance prices on their "Fusion" cables. I saw a 12ft component cable for about $30. While not labeled for "HD" video, they seem to do the job.

The best bang-for-the-buck cables are the custom web sites. For about $50 they will sell you a HD rated cable similar to what is used in the broadcast industry. These cables rival the $220 Monster cables and have many happy customers here at HTF.

Hope this helps.

6. ClintS

ClintS Stunt Coordinator

For the cheapest cables I would recommend parts express "dayton" branded cables. Search for dayton component video.

www.partsexpress.com

For the best value I would recommend blue jeans cable. Little more expensive but top quality cables and connectors with middle to low end pricing. Plus you can get just about any length.

www.bluejeanscable.com

I have used both of these companies with good success, I prefer the bluejeanscable because of the top quality components, great service, and low price.

7. JakeGreen

Thanks for the advice. I do have a target near by. But wouldn't the Dayton or bluejeanscable cables be better than anything that Target would have?

8. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I'd go with the custom cable as they have the technical data to prove their cables can handle the 35 Mhz max frequency of HD signals.

In truth - the cables from target/best buy MAY actually be built with good coax that can handle HD video for 10-15 feet. But the custom cables use coax tested at 100 feet and they use some rather good RCA plugs that come close to matching the 75 ohm impedence of the cable.

People with 100" front-projectors have bought and used the Canare-based cables with great success and these systems are much more sensitive than anything I have in my home.

9. Shane Morales

Shane Morales Second Unit

bluejean cables, hands down.

[​IMG]

10. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

i'm assuming "inexpensive" and "good quality" are still your criteria.

11. JakeGreen

I know inexpensive and good quality don't really go together very well. But you get what I am going for.
    Thanks for the help.