What's new

need help with black levels - dlp front projector (1 Viewer)

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Yes, correct.

Can you adjust your display paying particular attention to this btb test?

Oupei

Agent
well, my DVE disk hasn't come in yet, but I found color bars on my Rush Hour 2 disk.

For the brightness, I can't see the gray rectangles in the bottom right until I turned the brightness almost to 100%, washing out pretty much everything else on the screen. But then I turned on the "black level" option in the dvd player and the gray bars looked exactly the way it's supposed to with the projector at default settings, and without washing out the other color bars. Whatever this "black level" option does, it's not just brightness and constrast adjustment, or any other option available to the projector. You guys think this may be the Blacker than Black you're talking about? It doesn't seem like those gray rectangles should be so extreme as to require Blacker than Black stuff.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Oupei, you are entering very complicated territory. However I will link you to a very good thread about IRE, blacks, etc, and to a quote:

"".... The black level switch on a DVD player will add set up (bring the black level up to 7.5 IRE) if the end user wishes to use "S" video or composite video outputs on the player, or if the display device only has 1 memory for brightness level, the end user could choose the 7.5 output level for component video so that it matches all his/her other sources.

To simplify, if using component the player should be set to output 0 IRE. If using "S" or composite the player should be set to 7.5 IRE. This regardless of what the picture looks like after making a change. After making a change the display must be recalibrated.

Now, not all players offer the choice and if your not sure which one to use, you will have to have a waveform monitor or a lot of time and knowledge to figure it out. The players that do offer a choice have chosen marketing terms to describe the difference, such as "dark", or "enhanced"."

Found here: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=129254

Stephen Dodds

Second Unit
I think you may be using the wrong calibration screen. I don't have Rush Hour 2, but the screen for brightness doesn't usually have any color bars.

The THX Optimode test is black background with a row of grey bars to the right and two moving grey bars to the left. You adjust Brightness until the right hand bar disappears and the left is just visible.

On AVIA it is a half grey and half black screen with two moving grey bars.

Is this what you used?

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks