Need help with AV component placement in a new HT

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by KenD, Apr 16, 2004.

1. KenD

KenD Auditioning

I need a little help with placement of my audio and video components in my new, under construction home theater. My home theater room will be 13 x 9. I will have a network closet in the back of my room that i want to house my audio/video components.

However, my TV (considering Samsung DLP) will be on the opposite wall, in the front of the room. Will I be wasting money and possibly signal loss by running a component video from the back of the room all the way to the front?
    should i perhaps consider getting a projector or is it more likely that i should locate my components in the front along with the TV?

This is my first post in this great forum...so bear with me if i did not provide enough info....

I am still considering my components so i cant say right now with any specificity as to what they may be..other than the Samsung or possibly a projector if that turns out to be a better choice.

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph

My thoughts on this are, if you intend the display device to be for mostly home theatre, dvd and hdtv, and if your room is "projector friendly"[​IMG] then go for a front projector. If you intend to watch lots of TV on it then get the rptv instead. What budget do you have?

3. Kevin Eckhardt

Kevin Eckhardt Stunt Coordinator

In a room that size you shouldn't have any problems placing your components in the closet with either the RPTV or front projector. I have my gear located in a closet and am using 40ft cables to connect to my RPTV without any issues.

4. KenD

KenD Auditioning

thanks for the replies....i have a budget of around 12k but that has to entail the TV, full surround speakers for 7.1, and i want a the new Yamaha receiver (RX-V2400)..but i can make do with my 2 year old Sony if i have to. Was figuring on the Samsung 51" DLP and going with Klipsch speakers...just because i have always liked Klipsch....im also trying to work in a Niles ZR 4630 for whole house audio....but that may blow my budget. ill be watching HD TV as well as movies so thats why i think the samsung is a better option for me than a projector....but thats just my opinion/thoughts

how much would a component cable run of say 40-50 feet cost? i have seen prices and these cables are expensive because of their function...im just trying to be as efficient as possible in terms of expense and cable lengths

5. Kevin Eckhardt

Kevin Eckhardt Stunt Coordinator

I purchased my cables from BlueJeansCable.com They advertise here on HTF and have been recommended by quite a lot of people. I've been pleased so far and will likely buy from them again. A 40-50ft component video cable from them should be right around $100 give or take.

6. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    In addition to everything else make sure you have a way to get other cables from your rack to the front of the room. If this room is on a top floor you can always use the attic, it its on a lower floor you will want to run a conduit. If you think you might want a FP some day plan for it now by putting an outlet in the ceiling, a way to get video to it and installing any type of curtain or screen control pre-wire.

7. Jason D.

Jason D. Agent

Ken,

You asked...."how much would a component cable run of say 40-50 feet cost? i have seen prices and these cables are expensive because of their function...im just trying to be as efficient as possible in terms of expense and cable lengths"

Don't waste your money (IMO) on looking for component cables for this length....use RG6 and make your own (3 RG6 runs). You should be able to do it for around $50 and have 350-400ft cable left to run (assumming you buy the 500ft spool at HD). Trust me, you won't see ANY difference any quality....I've done tests myself.

If you must use component because you have money to burn---I agree with the above poster....BlueJeansCables are a good value for the money (IF you must have them).

-Jason

BTW you can see the conduit I ran for my HT in my construction pics below.....also notice all the cable in the one conduit----that's all speaker wire (plus 2 CAT5 runs). The other conduit you will see is for my projector....nothing in it yet. Good luck!