Need Help with Auto-EQ

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Antonio_D, Dec 8, 2005.

1. Antonio_D

Antonio_D Agent

I have a Pioneer Elite 54TX connected to a pair of
    Studios 60.

Recently i tried the MACAA feature to adjust automatically the EQ.I am not really satisfied with the results,i feel the sound could get a little more crisp and detailed.If i want to do that,which settings should i change?

Here's the settings i got after that Auto-Calibration:

Left Speaker:
    63Hz[---dB]
    125Hz[-4.5dB]
    250Hz[-3.0dB]
    4KHz[-4.5dB]
    11.3KHz[-1.5dB]
    TRIM[+0.5]

Right Speaker:
    63Hz[---dB]
    125Hz[-4.5dB]
    250Hz[-2.0dB]
    4KHz[-1.0dB]
    11.3KHz[-2.5dB]
    TRIM[+0.5]

2. John S

John S Producer

That looks like reasonable room eq to me....

You need to get something like EQ Room Wizard and a mic going on a pc or laptop to really delve into this.

How long have you used it this way? Accuracy if it has achieved it, may take some time to get used to.

Does it sound better to you if you defeat the EQ entirely?

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Above 250 Hz you probably should have identical EQ settings for both channels (note the differences between the left and right at 4 kHz and 11 kHz). If not you can get some weird phase things happening that can screw up your imaging. Try setting both speakers to either one setting or the other, and see which sounds better. Then get back to us with your observations.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. Dick Knisely

Dick Knisely Second Unit

As John indicates, it's probably "right" as-is, try it for a bit. But after trying it a little, if you don't like it, tweak it until you do. Ultimately its your ears that matter and no EQ routine can adjust for that. If you want "crispness" then push the high end up a bit and see if that helps.

5. Antonio_D

Antonio_D Agent

It's weird because the first time i did the AUTO adjustements with the mic, I felt it sounded really good.What i mean by that is that you could actually feel the sound is reaching your ears(coming all the way to you),and it sounded crisp and more detailed.

Then a few days after i lost that amount of detailed i had with the AUTO-EQ.You think i could also reset my receiver to factory settings?