Need help with Australian DVD stores

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jonathan Tobey, Aug 9, 2005.

1. Jonathan Tobey

Jonathan Tobey Auditioning

I'm going to Australia in September and I was wondering if anyone could tell me some good places to go for DVD's. I'll be in Terrigal, about an hour out of Sydney, thanks very much.

2. Christina-K

Christina-K Agent

Never been to OZ but I sometimes use this site for DVD for online stores: dvdplaza.com.au

It's like a search site for DVD's - you enter the title and it lists the stores which has it in stock and at what price. Hope this helps

[​IMG]

3. Lupin IX

Lupin IX Auditioning

Can I ask why you would be interested in buying DVDs in Australia?

Is it Australian films or Australian releases you are after?

I buy more DVDs than is probably sane ( according to my wife antway) but usually from US, England, Hong Kong or Korea

The last I bought here was a Marx Bros box set that was on special recently but I honestly can't remember the one before that

Am I missing something?

4. Christina-K

Christina-K Agent

There is the odd title which isn't available in the UK but for some reason released in Australia, thats why. [​IMG]

5. Lupin IX

Lupin IX Auditioning

OK that sort of makes sense -

even Australians aren't interested in watching Australian films so I was puzzled by the idea of someone wanting to visit an Australian DVD shop where ,as a general rule, the stock is limited and overpriced

6. Dino_

Dino_ Auditioning

K*Mart, Big W, JB Hi-Fi (the best one imo), Sanity, EzyDVD, Target, Myer, Borders, Virgin.

7. BrunnenMatt

BrunnenMatt Agent

Erina Fair is 5 minutes down the road from Terrigal by car. Plenty of DVD shops there from JB Hifi, HMV, Big W, Target, Myers, EzyDVD, Power House and many more.
    Terrigal is a very nice place to go to [​IMG], was down there last week myself. You have no problems finding a DVD store, Stores in Red are recommended.

...BMatt

8. Lupin IX

Lupin IX Auditioning

I'm still confused

I visit the JB Hi Fi shop in Lonsdale st Melbourne - which I think has probably the best local issue range in town - every week or two during my lunch break and find something to buy about once every 6 months at best. I don't believe that Sydney chain stores would be much different

what would be here that would make a trip to Australia worthwhile?

Please give some examples of what you think would be uniquely available here - I'm worried I'm missing something

9. BrunnenMatt

BrunnenMatt Agent

If you look around the shop at the same title, you can find it with 2 - 3 different prices! In the bargain bins, I have seen a title with 6 different prices (from $3 -> $19)

Some stores get titles in bulk, I know in Sydney the Pitt Street store is better then the Bondi store, it just depends what's in stock by quantity.

The Bondi store had the 'James Bond Box set' for a good price a couple of weeks ago, a lot cheaper then the city; and there do stock more unknown titles and OOP titles then most shops.

...BMatt

10. Jonathan Tobey

Jonathan Tobey Auditioning

Thanks very much everyone for all the responses. I'm not altogether sure what some of the confusion is about, but I just wantd to pick up a couple of titles that I can't get here in the US...Undead, 9 Songs, etc. I also wanted to just look around to see if there are any editions of anything that are better than the US versions.

11. BrunnenMatt

BrunnenMatt Agent

12. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

Is the R4 uncut like the R3HK dvd (which is also 16:9)?

13. BrunnenMatt

BrunnenMatt Agent

Yeah Mark! It also includes the audio commentary, what the R3 HK DVD is missing.

...BMatt

14. Manus

Manus Second Unit