Need help with answering machines.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ken thompson, May 9, 2002.

1. ken thompson

ken thompson Second Unit

I'm getting rid of my bell south answering machine service and am going to buy one. I need the answering machine to answer the call waiting line if I'm already talking on the phone. Is there one that does this?

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

I don't think so. The only way I can think you could achieve this would be via vioce mail service from your phone company. When you have call waiting- you don't actually have 2 lines- rather a single line with a duplex feature.

Both of the duplex portions of the lines cannot be used at the same time, to the best of my knowledge. That's what would have to happen for a machine to be able to answer that line while you're on the other.

An incoming call could tbe intercepted and rerouted by the phone company to a different circuit in the case when you're on the phone (which is what voicemail does)- but I don't know if it is possible to access that second portion of the line while still actively using the first one!

-Vince