1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Need help with answering machines.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ken thompson, May 9, 2002.

1. ken thompson

ken thompson Second Unit

I'm getting rid of my bell south answering machine service and am going to buy one. I need the answering machine to answer the call waiting line if I'm already talking on the phone. Is there one that does this?

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

I don't think so. The only way I can think you could achieve this would be via vioce mail service from your phone company. When you have call waiting- you don't actually have 2 lines- rather a single line with a duplex feature.

Both of the duplex portions of the lines cannot be used at the same time, to the best of my knowledge. That's what would have to happen for a machine to be able to answer that line while you're on the other.

An incoming call could tbe intercepted and rerouted by the phone company to a different circuit in the case when you're on the phone (which is what voicemail does)- but I don't know if it is possible to access that second portion of the line while still actively using the first one!

-Vince