What's new

Need help with annoying sound when on the net (1 Viewer)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I run windows XP and use IE. During certain web page loadings I get this annoying "water drop" sound and I cannot figure out how to turn it off.

I turned off all sounds in the Google tool bar and everything I could find in the Internet Settings area. This seems to be something IE related as the sound is the same no matter what page I visit on the net.

Can anyone help me eliminate this sound?

Bryan Toth

Stunt Coordinator
Ron,

Some sounds that pop up in IE are actually configured in the "general" sound settings for XP. Go to Start->Control Panel->Sounds and Audio Devices and then click on the 'Sounds' tab. That lists all the default sounds for the system. Sounds like it could be the 'Start Navigation' sound under Windows Explorer (even though it's IE, it still uses the sounds from standard Explorer ....) ... but I would think that would come up on every page load, not just occasionally ... still, it's something to look into.

Bryan

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Thanks Bryan, I did turn off all sounds on that tab and it did nothing.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
The "system navigation" sound and the pop-up blocker sound are the only sounds I hear when I'm browsing. They're actually both the same sound (default "click" noise).

You say it sounds like a "drip". I wonder if you're hearing a "system notification" sound (default is a soft "pop" sound). Are you getting an exclamation point on your system tray or a do-not-enter symbol in the lower corner of your browser?

I'm guessing it's some java plug-in or something that's having a conflict.

Or perhaps you just have a leak. :D

DaveNel

Second Unit
It is prolly pop ups being blocked, Thats what it sounds like in yahoo, And prolly google toolbar as well..

Usually when a pop up is being blocked it does make a little bloop sound.. But does it everytime one is blocked..

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Try installing Mozilla and see if the issue goes away.. Likely you will enjoy Firefox more anyway :)

It's WAY better. The pop up blocker works wonders and has a built in google search bar.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks