What's new

Need help with an Axiom/SVS setup (1 Viewer)

CliffA

Auditioning
I'd appreciate some help choosing speakers for my home theater. It's going in our "great room", dimensions about 14' wide x 31' long (about 430 sf) with a 7'2" ceiling (about 3100 cu ft volume). The viewing area occupies the first 21' of the room (family room area), with a kitchen/eating area behind. I figure the usage will be 70% HT and 30% music. I want to set up a 7.1 system.

I'm leaning toward Axiom speakers, except for an SVS subwoofer.

Front speakers: Not sure whether I should get the M40ti, M60ti, or M22ti (on stands). With a big subwoofer, is there any point having tower front speakers?

Center: VP150 (sounds like it's worth the upgrade from the VP100).

Side surrounds: QS4's or QS8's. Not sure which size I need.

Rear surrounds: also Qs4's or QS8's. our maybe one of the smaller bookshelf's.

Subwoofer: SVS 16-46 (If I can get my wife to go along with that!)

Any comments or advice would me most welcome. Thanks.

JimC_A

Stunt Coordinator
My room is 13 X 23. I have the M60's, QS8's, VP150, and the EP175. I couldn't be happier with my setup. I am more pleased with every dvd we watch. I'm sure the SVS will work well. I thought about every combo at least once and picked the towers in the end. I did this because I didn't want to upgrade in a year or so. Good luck with your search. Check out out Axiom's site for some advice as well.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Budget was not mentioned or is that not a consideration?

If you don't listen to much music, then floorstanders are somewhat less useful, however M22s + stands will still be in the price range of M40s. M40s will give you better bass response for both music and movies, but a sub is still required.

I have not heard their surrounds, but I cannot recommend either of them, since they have tweeters only, no mid-bass drivers. I would recommend M3Tis all around, or M3s as rears (since they will want to be on stands), and QS8s on the sides.

VP150 should be fine.

SVS is an excellent choice for sub.

JimC_A

Stunt Coordinator
No harm intended John, but I have heard the surrounds and they aren't "tweeters only". Each QS8 has 2-5.25" woofers. What led you to believe they only had tweeters?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That's what it looks like from the website. What lead me to believe that is the fact that both of them are rated only to 100Hz and 95Hz respectively, which is quite high compared to the M3. I didn't notice the listing of the drivers as 5-1/4 and 4-1/2. Are they up/down firing?

BTW:You are not allowed to list your gear in your signature because it interferes with the search function (eventhough the search function is being limited right now).

Marc H

Second Unit
With Axiom, I'd suggest the M22TiSe or M60TiSe if you prefer accuracy. The M40TiSe has a slight warmth added to the bass for those that prefer that.
If you go with the M60TiSe or M22TiSe, do get the VP150Se for sure. I've had to upgrade enough clients now to strongly recommend that.
If you like the Quadpole idea, and are picky about timbre matching, go with the QS8Se as they come the closest because of the matching tweeter.
Based on the room size, I'd suggest the M60TiSe over the M22Tise for the best in dynamics.

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor
I'd go with M60's in the front, they're extremely accurate sounding and have the advantage over the less expensive speakers of being a 3-way design with dedicated midrange. I'd go with the QS8's over the QS4's so you get the titanium tweeters to match the front soundstage. I'm not sure I'd go with 4 QS8's in the back though; although they do have 5.25 woofers, bass extensions is extremely limited at 95hz. I'd go with at least one pair of M3ti's in the back. Most people will recommend bookshelves in the back and the omnimpolar's on the sides, but I don't agree since the side surrounds actually do more work and will also be the ones used for multi-channel music.

I personally only had room for 6.1, not 7.1. So I went with M3ti's for the left/right surrounds and a single QS8 in the back. In front I have M60's, VP150, and SVS 20-39PCi.

Jose T

Stunt Coordinator
In front I have M60's, VP150, Q-8 as surrounds and have been very pleaed. My basement H/T set up has similar demnsions to your family room. Suggest the 60's but you cann't go wrong with the M3's just get decent sub. :emoji_thumbsup:

ernie.bin

Stunt Coordinator
hey Marc,

any feedback on m22s vs m50s vs m60s in a smaller room? I figure I'm going to be in sub 15'x15' rooms for the next 5 years at least.

The m50s didn't seem like much more than the m22s plus stands, so I was tempted, and then the m60s aren't really that much more again :wink: . I'm thinking m60s might be overkill for the size of rooms I'll be living in though.

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor
any feedback on m22s vs m50s vs m60s in a smaller room?
Output volume is not the only factor to consider when deciding which speaker to buy, so I wouldn't assume that just because you have a smaller room that you need to go with the smaller bookshelf speakers. The m60 and m80 are 3-way towers with sound quality that can't be matched by the other speakers in the Axiom lineup. The only one that might be in the same league is the m22, and people who have heard both have preferred the m60. The m50's don't seem to get much attention, because because if you're willing to pay the premium in price for the m50 over the m40, it makes sense to go ahead and get the m60. The m80 would be overkill for small rooms since it's basically a bigger, louder version of the m60. But I wouldn't rule out the m60 in a 15x15 room.

Phil_Lunar

Stunt Coordinator
ho boy... I am also having trouve deciding between M22 or M40 or M60, and the more I read, the more I am uncertain where to go...

But that's great to have that much information before making such and important decision, so thanks to all of you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks