What's new

Need help with an Axiom 7.1 setup (1 Viewer)

CliffA

Auditioning
I'm setting up a 7.1 system, and have pretty much settled on Axioms. (Except for the sub--SVS. The only question there is the size :D ) But I could use some advice about the side/rear speakers.
The room is 31' x 15'. I anticipate a mix of 70% HT, 30% music.
For the front, I'm thinking M60ti's and a VP150.
For the surrounds, should I get:
-- QS8's (two pairs) for both the sides and rears
-- QS8's for the sides and M3ti's for the rears
-- M3ti's for the side and QS8's for the rears (same speakers as previous, but reversed)
Finally, although it really a question for a different section :D, what would be a good receiver to drive this combination? (Denon 3803, maybe?)

JimC_A

Stunt Coordinator
I love my Axiom setup. I have the M60's, QS8's, VP150 and the EP175. You are definitely on the right track.

CliffA

Auditioning
I think it will be good. One thing I'm not certain about, though, is whether to get QS8's for both the side surrounds and the rear surrounds, or whether to use some directional speakers (like the M3's), probably for the rear.

If anyone has set up a 7.1 system, especially Axioms, I'd like to hear what you decided about directional speakers for the surrounds and how it worked out. Thanks!

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor
I tend to prefer direct-radiating surrounds, so I have M3ti's for the left/right surrounds. QS8's are more flexible with regard to placement, so if you have to use less than optimal placement or if the surrounds are going to be close to your seating position, the QS8's might be the better fit. But if you have room to put some distance between the surrounds and the seating position, the direct-radiating speakers can create a very nice soundstage that IMHO is more accurate sounding. In my living room, layout dictates that I can only have one back channel (6.1), and that the center back is somewhat close to the seating position so I used a single QS8 in the back.

One thing to consider if you use the QS8's for your left/right surrounds is that they have pretty weak bass response, and might be less than optimal for multi-channel audio (SACD/DVD-A).

CliffA

Auditioning
When you play a dvd-a/sacd source with a system set up for 7.1, do the rear channels go to the side surround speakers, or the rear surround speakers, or both?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks