1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Need help with amp selection

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike LS, Aug 28, 2002.

1. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

I need some help picking out amps for a new system I'm assembling.

I'm most likely going to be using a Newcastle R-863 as a processor. I'm setting the room up for 7.1, so I need amps for the main channels.

It's a fairly large room, and the budget is kind of low....between $1500 - $2000 depending on how much I spend on the reciever/processor. I think I can get the 863 for about $1000.

The speakers on this system will be PSB all around. Image series, 5T in the front, 9C center, 10S side and 2B as rears.

Any suggestions?

2. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

Any 125 W x 5 amp should drive your speakers with clean thunderous power. There are many in this range that can be had for about $800 used and about $1200 new. Some of them in the order that I like them (warm to bright) are:

B&K 5125 ($1299 new)
    Parasound 1205 ($999 new)
    Rotel 1075 ($1200 new)
    Marantz MM9000 ($1299 new)
    Adcom 7500 ($1299 new)
    Outlaw 5 channel (model/price?)

3. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

I knew there was something else I meant to mention. I'd like to go with several stereo amps rather than a single 7 channel or 5 channel and a stereo. Just for the fact that it's easier to handle one channel going out with seperate amps than with a single.

4. Sihan Goi

Sihan Goi Second Unit

If you're into monoblocks check out the Marantz units. Parasound also has some made by Soundstream that used to go for pretty cheap. Another one to look for that provides more power(200Wpc) is the Sherbourn one. However, 5 channel amps in that price range are gonna be cheaper since the price of 3 stereo amps is probably gonna be more expensive.

5. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

I know seperate stereo amps are going to cost more (in most cases), but it's just going to work better.

I' really don't want to go the monoblock route. I've got to transport this equipment a good ways to set it up, so I don't want to split things up too much.

Stereo units are going to be the best thing in this case.

Any suggestions?