What's new

Need help with a Pink Floyd song please.... (1 Viewer)

Don Black

Screenwriter
Lyrics go something like "The Grass is Greener". I know it's a classic but I wasn't alive at the time. =) Thanks 'all!

DonnyD

Screenwriter
Perhaps it is the one which really goes "the lunatic is on the grass...." which is on Dark Side of the Moon... If that isn't it, try to get some more lyrics and we'll find it. I have most of their stuff.......

Pink Floyd music spans across generations and remains one of the foremost all time favs. Did you realize that most of their music is about "lost ones", specifically the original leader who named the band..... ?

Jeff Bamberger

Second Unit
I have to agree with Rob, but I still have a hard time calling Floyd Floyd without Roger Waters.

Just pop in the In the Flesh DVD to remind yourself......

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
For the record, the studio version appears on The Division Bell and the new Echoes anthology. A live version appears on the Pulse CD and video.

Regards,

DonnyD

Screenwriter
Just noted that someone already found the song you were looking for.... After I posted this morning, I started for work and within 5 minutes I had the song you mentioned in mind and went straight to it on The Division Bell. Great song on a great album.

BTW... it was Syd Barrett that started the group and named it Pink Floyd (after two jazz greats). David Gilmour joined the band later and actually replaced Syd Barrett after he had sunk into drugs so bad. Roger Waters and Syd Barrett wrote most of the early PF music with Gilmour writing a lot of later stuff. Waters split after The Wall but Pink Floyd (IMHO) has become better. Waters was too obsessive with war and childhood dreams which had begun to domintate his writing. The Division Bell was actually written about his departure.

Glad you found the title of this great song.

RicP

Screenwriter
but Pink Floyd (IMHO) has become better
The only way that Pink Floyd became "better" when Roger Waters left was if you never listened to anything other than Animals and The Wall.
Without Roger there's no Dark Side, no WYWH, no Meddle...etc

DonnyD

Screenwriter
Thanks Scott.....You know us hill-billies... we can't spell....... we don't surf either......

BTW: I don't have any arguement over Waters or Gilmour..... Pink Floyd is still the band with the name Pink Floyd......

AND.... The Wall was where the band grew apart regardless of the next album...... I am entitled to my opinion of who/what/when they improved.......

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Got to add more praise for High Hopes. One of my fave Floyd tunes, and fave tunes of all time as it happens. Superb song.

Dan (UK)

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I actually like Gilmour's "About Face" album better than anything he or Waters have come up with since the split, but it would be disingenuous of me to dismiss two CDs of music that I think is good and occasionally great because I object to it being called "Pink Floyd". I suppose I could make up my own cover art, call them David Gilmour solo albums, and then allow myself to listen, but that sounds like a lot of work. ;)
Regards,

Jimmy Nugent

Stunt Coordinator
I suppose I could make up my own cover art, (and) call them David Gilmour solo albums...
Ken-

Thats the same logic I apply to Madonna's "Ray of Light". While I think she is a brilliant salesperson, I don't care for her as a musician. With that in mind I just consider "Ray of Light" to be a William Orbit album as he wrote, produced and/or performed on the majority of the album. Obviously I prefer the underrated Orbit to the overrated Madonna.

As for the "Pink Floyd" debate: I just refer to the post waters era as Pinkish Floyd.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.