What's new

Need help with a home theater!! (1 Viewer)

Hi all,

I was hoping to get some ideas and suggestions on making this room a better theater (I am using it now to watch tv and movies, but I wouldn't exactly call it a theater).

A link to a drawing of the room layout is in my signature (can't post images in messages right off the bat)...not to scale at all!

Here's some equipment info...

Sony 53" TV
Yamaha RXV995 Receiver
Boston Acoustics Speakers with sub
Sony 5 disc CD/DVD changer

Anyway, some problems with the room.

1. Light - As you can see, I have a window seat that lets a lot of light into the room. I also have a French door next to it that leads to a patio...more light. The kitchen is behind the viewer...and the kitchen has a larger window facing the TV...more light and glare...especially during the day. There is a hallway that leads to my front door...more light.

2. Seating - Because of the window seat, seating in this room is very awkward...not sure how to get around it. I do have two bar stools at the bar, but they're aren't conducive to long viewings.

3. The room is paneling that I painted over. Also, the floor is tile. I'm sure this room is not the most acoustically pleasing...although it sounds ok. Not sure what options I have here.

I realize that this will never be the ideal room for a theater, but it's what I have to work with at the moment. Any ideas or suggestions on how I can make this a more "theater like" experience would be greatly appreciated.

Also...sorry for the long post.

Thanks,
Mike

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
For the French doors I’d suggest drapery that can be drawn when viewing during the day.

We also have a kitchen with windows behind our room. We found that plain mini-blinds were sufficient to keep glare off the screen. Colored blinds will cut down on pass-through light and minimize on-screen glare much better than white ones.

It’s hard to suggest something for the window seat without actually seeing it, but blinds could also be used there on the individual windows, or perhaps draperies that would close off the entire thing for viewing.

I don’t see light from the front entry as a problem, since it does not shine on the screen or into the eyes of the viewers.

I’m not particularly fond of sectionals for home theater use, because their large size generally forces placement limitations. For instance, if you had a regular sofa you would be able to center it in front of the TV better. As long as you’re using the sectional, you’ll just have to accept that the section against the wall is more suitable for interpersonal conversation than home theater viewing.

Regarding acoustics, the best thing you could do is install wall-to-wall carpet, or at the very least a large (I’m talking huge) area rug.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Hey Wayne,

We're practically neighbors! =) Well...not really...but close enough.

Thanks for the suggestions! Do you know anyone in Houston that sells room darkening shades?

Also, do you know if the paneling is bad acoustically?

Mike

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Hey, “close enough” is good enough for me! :)

For the shades, couldn’t say. Shouldn’t be hard to find something in a city this big, though. Check the yellow pages maybe, or a home theater shop like Audio Concepts.

No, paneling isn’t the best for acoustics, but as long as you have pictures, bookshelves etc. to give some dispersion, you should be okay.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne,

Thanks again. I didn't know if someplace like Lowes or Home Depot would carry the shades. I'll look around.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks