What's new

Need help with a classical song (1 Viewer)

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
Hello all.

The song is used in a nintendo commercial. The one where there is an orchestra playing and the lady is attacked by the chandaler that looks like a glass dragon.....Ring a bell for anybody.

Help please....

Thanks

Rhett

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
Anyone,,,,please there has to be somebody out there that listens to classical music, it is a pretty used peice of music, I just cant find it.... :frowning:
Thanks
Rhett

Stefan A

Second Unit
I am willing to help you, as I have a very good knowledge of the classical repertoire. Unfortunately, I have not seen the comercial yet. When I do, I will tell you. Keep bumping it up every now and then.

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
Just bumping this one up, I really need this title, so I can get it as a christmas present for myself! :D

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
Rhett-

I haven't seen the commercial and others may not have either. A little bit of info on the song itself may help us out in helping you.

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
Hello all..

I know it is a classical piece, there are female ophrah type voices, it is very climatic sounding, if that makes sense.

I wouldn't even know where to begin on how it sounds!...This is driving me crazy...

In the commercial, there are gargoyles taking off from the wall, and the conductor throws a cymbol at one of them and it hits him as he is still on the wall.....

AHHHHHHHHHHH this is killing me..

Thanks for the help, hopefully this has helped a little..

Rhett

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
Hello all again..

It is very very similiar to Carl Orff Carmina Burana O fortuna, very very similier........Except there are more female voices in the piece........IT is oh so similier.........Hopes this helps... It is also similiar in sound to "Kyrie"

Rhett

Stefan A

Second Unit
You will find that in classical music, if music sounds very similar to the style of a particular composer, it probably is that composer. It could be Carmina Burana - but arranged a little differently than the original. I will continue to watch for the commercial, but I have not seen it yet.

I would like to add that my wife, who is also very familiar with the classical repertoire, HAS seen the commercial several times. I asked her if she knew what it was and she thought it was something original for the commercial that just sounds classical. She is very familiar with Carmina Burana.

Can you tell what the language is? Maybe it is a section from Prokofiev's "Alexander Nevsky". I can imagine that The "Battle on the Ice" section could be confused with the Orf.

Stefan A

Second Unit
Rhett,
Today is your lucky day. I finally saw the commercial. I had to suffer through MTV to see it.:) Anyway, the music is by Edvard Grieg (not Edward). It is from his opera Peer Gynt. Specifically, that exact section is called "In the hall of the mountain king". You can buy the entire opera or you can buy the suites. In the hall of the mountain king is in Suite #1. The recording I have is with the San Fransisco Symphony with Herbert Bloomstedt conducting. I would recommend just getting the suites and the recording I have is very good. You will probably recognize other sections of the suites, as they are very popular and have been used in other commercials and such.
Now that I think of it, I am not sure if all recordings of it actually contains chorus. Some recording may only be orchestral. Go to amazon.com and listen to different recordings to find out.

Tomoko Noguchi

Second Unit
Peer Gynt is not an opera. It is incidental music to a play and the best recordings that include the choral parts are on the Deutsche Grammophon label with Neeme Jarvi or the Unicorn-Kanchana label with Per Dreier. All the other recordings either are suites or extended recordings with some of the incidental music.

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
YES YES YES YES YES YES YES........

Thank you so much, you know what it is like to sit infront of your computer for about two days, trying to find the commercial and downloading every classical song you can find.....LOL......

Thank you so much.......Very very very cool!!!!

Rhett

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
Tomoko Noguchi
I found the one on the Deutsche Grammophon label w/Neeme Jarvi and from the samples it sounds like it is only incidental music see if this is the right one. I have a feeling they just have one copy of the sample music and use it for all the cds. Buy if you don't mind could you please chack to make sure this and the other one are the right versions that have the singing in it...thanks http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...630369-5698514.
I looked under the label Unicorn-Kanchana, the only recordings is this one http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...I3HPARUSIHONPB, which I think it is, but I have to buy it used, and it is 30+ dollors
I can't find any of the sample recordings that have the chorus. You wouldn't happen to have a label number if the above two are not the correct version...??
I feel like a kid in the candy story who is allerigic to sugar...LOL...
I do really appriciate your help......
Rhett

Stefan A

Second Unit
The first disk you listed says it has a vocal ensemble with it. The example that they have at amazon does not play the vocal part in The mountain king - they never get to the faster part. I would guess that would be the disk for you to get, but I can't be sure.

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
That is what I am thinking. I'm going to order it anyway, if it is not the right version I won't be out 30+ bucks and I will still keep it....

Rhett

Thanks for your help...very much appriciated...

Tomoko Noguchi

Second Unit
Rhett,
Go here for the Unicorn discs:
http://www.broinc.com/cgi-bin/seek.c...h=Some&pprice=
The DG suites disc you ordered does not have the choral parts, only the music. The disc you ordered comes from the 2 disc set that includes all the choral parts
For all classical cds look first at www.broinc.com This company is the best for out of print and overstock discs. BTW, the Unicorn discs are new and not used.
Stefan,
No problem. Peer Gynt is one of my favorite pieces of music and it is common to think of it as an opera. I have both of the 2 discs sets above and both are beautiful.

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
Tomoko Noguchi

Thanks for the info, I ordered it today.....So I will have two versions of the music and one with the singing....Yes...

Thanks again for everybody help with this one piece of music........THANKS AGAIN....

Thanks

Rhett

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
Tomoko Noguchi
I received the DG label disc to today. I was really suprized when I popped in the cd, played track 4, the mountain king, and what do you know, there are chorals, vocals.....YES YES YES.....It was music to my ears. So for the next 30-45mins I laid down on my couch and played the disk.....I love it! :D
Thanks for all of your help! Very much appreciated, I also have another version on its way that Tomoko recommended....Can't wait to get it in my little hands!
Stefan A
Thanks for getting the title and composure of the music I was looking for, thanks again.
Until next time.
Rhett

Stefan A

Second Unit
I am glad I could help. Take your new-found interest in this style of music and run with it. Learn to like the whole disc. Then, maybe get some other music by Grieg - perhaps his piano concerto. Look for other choral stuff - Alexander Nevsky, German Requiem, ect. Start going to orchetsra concerts. Orchestras continue to have finacial problems and several in the US are in danger of folding (San Jose Symphony for instance). Only the public's interest will keep classical music alive. I can help you build a colection and learn to appreciate it - as can many people. Many books have been written on the subject.

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Woah. Reading this thread was like all the things in a great movie rolled into one: suspense, anticipation, mystery, leading to a joyful climax, and that warm feeling of a happy ending. :) :) :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks