Need help with a BIG room setup ....

CTtim22

Auditioning
Real Name
Tim H
OK. I need some major guidance here. I'm trying to setup an area in my basement in which I already have a 63" Samsung DLP TV. I want to add a surround sound to it. Here are my challenges:

1) My Basement is 29' x 25'. I've just finished framing it and basically just lined the concrete foundation with studs. The only interior walls are my staircase going up to the main floor. This staircase will be sheetrocked. My couch is about 15' away from the TV which leaves another 14' of open space behind it to the actual wall. I am planning on putting a 4' 1/2 wall directly behind the couch.

2) Obviously, with this being a basement, the floor is concrete. It will have a pad and carpet over the top of it though (yes, my basement is dry - thank God).

Other considerations: My walls are still open and accessible. I have the ability to put the back speakers from the surround on the sides (or on the 1/2 wall directly behind) which will be right around where the couch is. I don't have to go all the way back to the 29' mark. I, also, will have the ability to put another center channel speaker in back of the couch. This speaker will either go on the 1/2 wall or recessed in it.

My budget is about $1000 for everything (i.e. receiver, and surround system). I went to a local audio dealer (sells mostly paradigm speakers and Marantz receivers - not a circuit city or tweeter place but they do have high end stuff). The gentlemen told me that due to the size of my room AND the fact that my floor is concrete, I'd have to go much higher that my budget. Probably in the $3,500 range (give or take a few hundred). This is way outside my budget. I'm not an audiophile, by any stretch. But, I do know that I don't want to go HTIB.

Help....... I'm not sure if I should believe this guy or not. I can't imagine I can't get a system that will sound decent in a a big room like this.

Any thoughts are suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tim

mylan

Screenwriter
You can believe the guy, he wasn't trying to oversell you at all. That is one big room and with the proper budget could be a serious HT. The two main factors on why $1,000 won't cut it in your room is that you are going to need some decent speakers to fill that room with sound and you are going to need a decent receiver to drive them. I could see getting by if the room was half its size, also, why are you building a half wall?

CTtim22

Auditioning
Real Name
Tim H
Thanks for the reply.

I'm building a 1/2 wall for 3 reasons:

1) the other side of this room (the 14' x 25' of open space) has a ping pong table and I wanted 4 walls around the table to stop the ball from going all over the place. This will stop all of the balls that fall off the table without compromising the "open" space we have down there. Right now, I can play ping pong and still see the TV (if I need to).

2) I'm putting a fold-up, fold-down counter on this 1/2 wall so my kids can sit at this counter and eat/drink without having them get on my leather couch. I lived with bad furniture for a long time because of the "kid" factor and now that I'm building my own space, it's going to have some "kid" rules wrapped around it... lol!

3) this 1/2 wall will give me some additional options with regards to back speakers.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Real Name
Wayne
Tim,

The salesman is more-or-less on track. You don’t exactly have to “fill the room with sound” because you will be sitting close to the speakers. However, big rooms are a problem with bass, as they require speakers with good bass output. So where bass is concerned, you do have to “fill the room with sound.” If not, things sound “thin.” I suggest speakers with at least a 6-1/2” woofer, especially if you intend to do any music listening. If not, you can get by with some 5-1/ 4” speakers.

The good news is that the sub can take up a lot of the slack where the small speakers don’t put out, and with DVDs and TV you probably won’t even notice. However, you will need a pretty substantial sub to get good output and extension in a room that big, and that’s what will probably strain your budget.

One of the best budget subs for a room your size is the SVS PB12, and at $600 is more than half your budget all by itself. The company also has a nice speaker set you might consider as well that sound amazingly good for the money. The total package will run you in the $1200 range.

Add a receiver in the $4-500 range and a DVD player and you’ll be good to go for well under $2000. A bit more than your $1000 budget, but far less than the $3500 your salesman was talking about. Best of all it should meet your needs. Cutting corners further and you’ll probably find yourself wanting to upgrade later, which will cost more in the long run.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

CTtim22

Auditioning
Real Name
Tim H
Well, that's certainly over my budget. But, I'm not going to spend $1,000 and get junk that won't work. I like your recommendation. Just need to come up with the extra $$$. Looks like I'll be doing this in stages.

Thanks for the information!!

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
els