What's new

Need help with 20-39CS (1 Viewer)

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
A single 20-39cs/S700 will outgun the pw2200...but both are good units.

When we were emailing, I said a single 39cs would have about 3-4x the low bass performance of the polk....and that's probably conservative.

If you looking for 125dB+ type of concussive bass that is common in cars using a single quality 12" subwoofer....in your room with a cement floor....it will likely take 2-4 quality subwoofers. DIYing might be a good alternative?

TV

Conrad_S

Stunt Coordinator
I just can't see how the 20-39CS can go head-to-head with the PW2200 in air movement, but I guess I just haven't been lucky with SVSs in general.

So it looks like I'm left with a DIY solution since I can't really afford to drop $1500 on dual CS+.

You guys have been most helpful, and I thank you for your efforts. Special thanks out to Tom and Ron for spending so much of their valuable time trying to work this out. Anyone who is reading this and considering an SVS, don't hesitate to give them a try!

Steve Zimmerman

Second Unit
Interesting... I went to a dealer and tried the PW2200 after having owned my SVS for about a month and I was *extremely* disappointed with the PW2200. I wasn't expecting it to be better than my SVS sub, but I *was* expecting it to sound good.

Perhaps it was the dealer's configuration, but the PW2200 was either way too boomy or non-existent. The dealer apparently couldn't tell that the subwoofer sounded horrible because I had to keep telling him to turn it down and down. Rather than emit a clean clear tone, the dealer's sub sounded really muddy. It was like the low frequency equivalent of microphone feedback.

--Steve

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Conrad, things just don't work out sometimes.
Probably the most cost effective *concussive* bass route from SVS for you would be 4 25-31s...matched with a QSC850.(about 200w per tube).
That would be in the $1700 range though...ouch.
If you want to try DIYing, a 24"(id) sonotube with a Blueprint 1503 at each end...powered by a QSC1450 would be a good start...:)
TV

Rick Radford

Supporting Actor
Conrad,

OOC, did you have a chance to d/l ETF5 and run some inroom response curves of your sub?

I'd be curious to see what that looks like.

Rick Radford

Supporting Actor
Hey Conrad,
Make sure you talk to me if you decide to return your 20-39cs. It might not make it out of the budget committee, but ya never know. ;)
I'd surely love to have that bad boy to keep company with my other 20-39cs. :D
(man, am I ever glad I went with the CS series!)

Nick P

Second Unit
Conrad,
Sorry to jump in so late but I have my twin SVS setup in my basement dedicated HT room with carpeted concrete floors and two of the four walls are concrete as well. I have tremendous output in sound and physical impact. I can't imagine why your setup is not working properly. I'm stumped like everyone else. As mentioned above though, the SVS should handily outgun the Polk below 35hz. It sounds to me from what you wrote that you were expecting 3-4X the output across the board, not just at

Conrad_S

Stunt Coordinator
Perhaps the concrete walls affect the output, or lack thereof? Hopefully Rick can convince his family that a 2nd 20-39CS is necessary in there setup. That way he'll be able to stop by here and hear/feel my problem. :frowning:
Rick, check your email!

Bruce N

Second Unit
Are you sure you're not just sitting in a null area? A null area can really take all the sound out of a sub easily.

Bruce

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks