What's new

need help with 15" Dayton DVC alignment.. (1 Viewer)

Chris Brock

Second Unit
I just recieved my new 15" DVC yesterday. I have found myself in a bit of a bind however. the only box I have aviable for it is a ported box that is only 5.25 cubic feet and tuned to 21hz. i am not in a position where i can build a new one right now so my delima is, should i stay with the ported setup or should I go ahead and close up the port and run it sealed at 5.25 cubic feet? sealed at 5.25 cubic feet would give me a Q of .60, which i think would sound pretty good actually. the next question is how worried should i be about over powering the driver since the amp driving it will be 675wrms? i could run the amp in stereo mode which would only give the sub about 300 - 400wrms total.

thanks alot for taking a look!!

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Put it in the box and see how it sounds, then temporarily plug the port for comparison. Use the alignment you like best.

Just because you have 'extra' amplifier power available doesn't mean you have to use it.

Chris Brock

Second Unit
the port is a slot port design, it is 3" x 14.5". i think i will probely like the ported setup best but with the amount of power i will be running i am very afraid that i will over drive the sub at lower frequencies. is there any way i could add a HPF say at 20 - 25hz? How would the "Fmod's" form PE work? they have one that is a 20hz HP at 12db/octive.

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
With a vented box tuned to 21Hz you're not likely to run out of excursion until below 20Hz. In WinISD Pro it looks like it can handle 400 watts from about 18Hz on up, both thermally and mechanically.

The FMODS have been used with success. But be aware that you'll probably lose some signal strength through the FMOD. So this can sometimes cause problems when using a home theater receiver to drive a pro audio amplifier.

Chris Brock

Second Unit
thanks for the reassurance guys. i think i will just give it a shot ported and see if i feel comfortable. i also might try to to listen to it sealed and see if i like it any better.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Chris,

With the Dayton 15" DVC that I had, it was installed in an approx. 3 Cu. ft. cabinet with a couple of ports. Given the fact that the cabinet was not the "ultimate" for the driver, it still sounded damn fine and could shake pictures on the walls with just a 200-watt plate amp.

I can only imagine how nice it will be with your construction plans. Plugging the port is an option, too. I guess if one is going to do something like this, one might make some "plugs" out of MDF and line the outside edge with some form of rubber gasket to prevent air leaks. Just make sure if you do this, you have a screw or bolt handy that you could drill into the plug to pull it back out. :)

Chris Brock

Second Unit
i am going to try and get some pics of my entire HT tonight actually, including some of the sub enclosure. I also built the front L and R speakers and the center channel but ive never got to show anyone from HTF. hopefully tongith i will get to!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks