Need Help - Wireless Router/ExtraNet

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tommy G, Feb 14, 2003.

1. Tommy G

Tommy G Screenwriter

I don't know if any of you out there can help me but I'm at my wits end. I currently work out of my home for work and am given a dial up number to dial in to our network. My wife went ahead and purchased cable service for her personal PC. I wanted to connect to the network and have her be able to use her PC at the same time. I was told a wireless router for my work laptop would take care of it. When I plug directly into the cable modem, my laptop can access the internet and connect to ExtraNet Access Client which is some software my company uses to access e-mail and other network tools I need for work. The funny thing is when I try and do this through the wireless router I bought I can still access the internet but can not connect to the network through ExtraNet. Does anybody know if there is something I am missing?

2. Jesse Leonard

Jesse Leonard Second Unit

My company also uses ExtraNet for remote access. Until recently we could not access the corporate network unless we used their dial-up account. The reason, your company has to allow VPN access into your network. Until they set this up, you will have to use dial-up. It sucks, I know.

Your company may already have the VPN running and may require different settings to connect to it. You may want to ask your IT department about it.

3. Tommy G

Tommy G Screenwriter

Jesse, I was on the phone with them this morning. Thanks for your response. Why am I able to access the Extranet by going directly into the cable modem then? That's what I don't understand.

4. Jesse Leonard

Which router do you have?

If you are able to connect to ExtraNet by bypassing the router, then you may have to open some ports on the router. I use a Linksys wireless with the ExtraNet client and I am able to get it to work. If you post what type of router you have, I am sure we can get you going.

5. Tommy G

Tommy G Screenwriter

Jesse, I have the Linksys wireless router with Extranet client as well. I thought that that might have been the problem but I couldn't get a clear answer as to what ports need to be opened. If you could get me going I would be forever grateful. Thanks.

6. Tommy G

Tommy G Screenwriter

Jesse, how did you get yours to work with Extranet? Anyone else want to pipe in on this...feel free. I'm frustrated.

7. Jesse Leonard

Sorry, I had forgotten about this thread.

The first thing to try it to place your laptop into the DMZ. To do this, log onto your router (http://192.168.1.1) and go to the Advanced tab. Then, go to the DMZ Host tab. Place the IP address of your laptop in here and apply.

See if this works.

8. Tommy G

Tommy G Screenwriter

Jesse, please forgive me of my ignorance but I don't know where to obtain the IP address of my laptop. Is this something I would have access to? Thanks for your patience.

9. Jesse Leonard

Open a command prompt (the DOS window) and type: ipconfig

This will give your IP address. Enter this into the router as I described above.

10. Tommy G

Tommy G Screenwriter

Thanks, I'll give it a whirl. I had 2 IP Addresses. One was for my company (which is the one I think I'll try) and the other was for adelphia (the cable company).

11. Tommy G

Tommy G Screenwriter

Jesse, I did exactly what you said but when I clicked on DMZ Host Tab, it only allows me to put in the last 3 digits. My IP Address begins with 172 and it defaults to 192. What do I do in this instance?

12. Jesse Leonard

Your computer shows two IP address because you have two network adapters in your computer (the wireless card and the NIC)

It looks like your laptop isn't getting assigned an IP from your router. On your laptop, in the network properties of your Wireless card set it up to automatically be assigned and IP address. Then, log onto your router and under the DHCP tab, ensure the DHCP server is enabled.

Reboot the router and your laptop and give that a try.

13. Tommy G

Tommy G Screenwriter

All of that was already done. I just checked and the network properties already had it checked off to be automatically assigned an IP Address. I logged on to the router and under the DHCP tab it is enabled.

14. Tommy G

Tommy G Screenwriter

Jesse (or anybody else), any ideas on what to do next? I'm pretty desperate here. I may end up having to go to a regular router and rewire the house to accommodate.

15. Mark Nguyen

Mark Nguyen Stunt Coordinator

Tommy,

The IP address you want to put in the DMZ is the one beginning with 192 not 172. The 192 address is what the router assign to your laptop and will use that address to map to the internet IP address on your cable modem.

If the Linksys router is left as the default your IP address should be something like 192.168.1.100 or 192.168.1.101 if you have 2 PCs connected.

16. Tommy G

Tommy G Screenwriter

Mark, that is what is already listed. But per Jesse's instructions, I need to put my IP address for my laptop somewhere to get the router to work with Extranet. I just don't know where it is supposed to go.

17. Mark Nguyen

Logon to the Linksys router, goto Advanced, then DMZ Host.

Mark

18. Tommy G

Tommy G Screenwriter

Mark, that is what I already did. I logged on and what is there is the 192.168.1.100. My laptop's IP address when I typed in ipconfig in dos was a 172 number. That's where my dilemma comes in. I have no way of changing that per Jesse's instruction.

19. Jesse Leonard

Tommy,

At a command prompt type: ipconfig /all

This will list the IP addresses for all of the network devices on your laptop (your regualar NIC and your wireless NIC). Then look to see what IP is assigned to your wireless NIC. This should begin with a 192.x.x.x I have a hard time believing that it doesn't, especially if you can surf the internet wirelessly.

By the way, what Operating System are you running on the laptop?

20. Mark Nguyen

Ok, I got it now...I have to confess I didn't read it thoroughly. [​IMG]

I know for sure the wireless interface address cannot be 172 because the DHCP scope on the Linksys router utilize 192 network address by default. If you do IPCONFIG /ALL like Jesse suggested it will display the IP address of all the network adapters on your laptop. When you do just IPCONFIG and your laptop have multiple network adapters it will only display the first one.

The address you want to put in the DMZ HOST is the one starting with 192 and am suspecting now that it doesn't end with 100. [​IMG]