Need help winning a Bose convert.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike LS, Nov 7, 2001.

1. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

My mother. My poor, dear naive mother (just kidding about the naive part....sort of) has been telling me and my dad for the last couple of years that she wants one of those Bose Wave Radios for the bedroom. Seems she's another victim of the Bose Marketing Machine that some of us so detest.
    Anyhow, I've tried to tell her that even though the Wave Radio probably does sound better than most alarm clock out there, she could get as good or better sound without spending $500.
    She knows that I know my stuff, but the Bose Machine has got her wondering if I know what I'm talking about. She's still about convinced that nothing will compare (even though she's never heard one).
    I'm to the point now that I'm going to tell them to get one (Bose offers free shipping and a trial period, so it can be sent back @ no charge), and let them compare it to some other models that are muchcheaper.
    What I need help with is what to compare it to. I know that Cambridge makes a competing product. Is that the best to go with? Here's a link:
    HiFi.com
    Any other suggestions?
    [Edited last by Mike LS on November 07, 2001 at 08:44 AM]

2. Allan

Allan Stunt Coordinator

Sometimes you can't convince people otherwise. A friend of mine wanted a Bose Waveradio for his bedroom. Despite seeing and hearing my setup numerous times and telling him about other options (incl the Cambridge Soundworks similar radio), he still went with the Bose. He understood that there may be better/cheaper alternatives, but this was Bose and therefore it had to be good. (I personally can't see spending $500 on a clock/radio, but that is another story.) In the end he bought the Bose and is extremely happy with it....
    Allan

3. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    While I agree that $500 is quite steep for an alarm clock, the Bose Wave radios do have good sound, for such a small package. And the overall design is also pretty good -- having recently been shopping for a new alarm clock, I don't think you can find good interface-design, attractive design, good sound for under about $130. And the Bose has a remote control as well.
    Also, while $500 could buy a far superior stereo system (e.g. Onkyo 494 + two speakers + cheap alarm clock), it would be far larger and far more difficult to operate than the Bose.
    I realize that HTF is essentially anti-Bose, but I think the Wave Radio provides an elegant design, dealing with the compromise of size, sound, interface, and appearance in a way that looks as if it didn't didn't compromise. And since there isn't any other product that pulls it all together like Bose does, they can get away with the crazy price.
    But for possible alternate solutions, here's a short comparison of the Bose to a Koss and a Zenith.
    http://www.streettech.com/archives_Gadget/tableRadio.html
    [Edited last by DaveF on November 07, 2001 at 09:57 AM]

4. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

Hey Dave, great article. That's a definite help.
    The deal here isn't that the Bose costs $500....well, to me it is, but my parents don't let stuff like that worry them....anyhow, I could care less if they spend $500 on a clock radio, but I'd rather show them some alternatives to the Bose since I know they can get better quality and more features for the same or less money.
    I know that Cambridge also has some new model table top clock/radio/cd player that uses seperate sat. speakers and a sub. I know that Cambridge makes some good computer type speaker systems because I use one at home on my PC.
    I can't remember what they call this new design, and I always butcher the long links on hifi.com (see above [​IMG] ).
    Anybody know what I'm talking about?

5. Mike_Ol

Mike_Ol Auditioning

Hi Mike,
    By coincidence, I was just looking at one of those for my bedroom.
    There are 2 models, the Musicworks 200 and Musicworks 300. The 300 has the clock/radio/cd unit with a remote and the Microworks sub/sat system. I was lookin on ebay and Cambridge is offering refubed units for $179(model 300).
    I've heard the Microworks sub/sat system before and it was quite good for multimedia speakers.
    Good Luck!
    Mike

6. Mike_Ol

Mike_Ol Auditioning

Oops! Pardon my spelling - that would be "refurbished" units.

7. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

It may be overpriced and it may be Bose, but even with the pricetag Bose probably makes the best sounding "Alarm clock Radio".
    My Dad has 2, and they do sound dang good for their size.
    I would never buy Bose but I can't deny that the Wave radio sounds good!
    ------------------
    Sean
    "I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who said.......I drank what?"

8. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

A much better system for around the same price as the Bose:
    Denon AVR1601 (Ubid) or equivalent - $160
    Technics SL-PD9 - $100
    Paradigm Titans - $200
    Optical connection + speaker wire - $30
    RCA 7-4892 Clock Radio w/automatic daylight savings time adjustment - $20 (Best Buy)
    Remote is included with the receiver and cd player and the alarm clock you can keep by your bedside. A much, much better system than the Bose one.

9. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    But it's BOSE! they've spent years researching the best way to rip you off!
    [​IMG]
    ------------------
    -Thomas
    My HT

10. Allan

Allan Stunt Coordinator

In the end, all it is is an alarm clock. A $500 alarm clock. Who really cares what it sounds like (if in fact it does sound great)? It wakes you up and then you turn it off. Why not then turn a real stereo to listen to the radio or CD? I don't get it.
    allan

11. Vietor

Vietor Stunt Coordinator

quote:
    Denon AVR1601 (Ubid) or equivalent - $160
    Technics SL-PD9 - $100
    Paradigm Titans - $200
    Optical connection + speaker wire - $30
    RCA 7-4892 Clock Radio w/automatic daylight savings time adjustment - $20 (Best Buy)
    [/quote]
    Proving once again how musicaly dominated the thinking around here is. I love it, $490 for sound equipment, and then jack it into a $20 clock radio. . .
    This is not a clock radio, its a clock hooked into a stereo, I love it. . .
    One thing you cannot doubt is that it will sound increadably much better, though it won't be as 'cute'.
    [Edited last by Vietor on November 07, 2001 at 03:16 PM]

12. Graeme Shiomi

Graeme Shiomi Stunt Coordinator

Relative of mine has one of these. For all of you offering alternatives, answer this question (which was asked to me when I started bellyaching over their decision):
    "Any solution you give me must be in one box. One power cable and that is it. Period."
    I had to admit that with that constraint, it's pretty hard to argue. No separate speakers. No separate Sub. No separate CD Unit. All in one box, with a clock.
    Graeme

13. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    (deleted)
    [Edited last by DaveF on November 07, 2001 at 10:04 PM]

14. BradZ

BradZ Stunt Coordinator

my .02,
    recommend the cambridge soundworks clock radio- just as good, much less expensive.
    if mom still wants the BOSE, just get out of the way and let her get it. if she's happy, you'll be happy. My mother wanted a nice little shelf system- I did the research, suggested a well-reviewed denon unit with mission speakers- she didn't like the color of the display. she bought a sony on close out that matched her TV perfectly- sounded like crap, but she's happy. kicker is, she never listens to it because its too complicated, she listens to a GPX cd boombox (purchased for its lovely turquoise color). She swears she can't tell the difference between her boombox, her stereo, or my Expo/Dynaudio system. "It all sounds very nice".
    let mom be, wouldn't we all be better off if we thought a boombox was the ultimate in high-fidelity? I know I'd have more money in the bank [​IMG]
    ------------------
    zaphod
    end of transmission...

15. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

BryanZ, I like the system you are suggesting there for $500. My feeling is that Mike's parents should spend $500 to get a real audio system and an inexpensive alarm clock as you suggest, and if they don't have room for the stereo system in the bedroom, then stick with the inexpensive alarm clock. $500 for a clock radio is ludicrous. Let's see, should I buy the Bose Wave Radio for $500 or an NAD C 270 power amp for $450 to biamp my main stereo system? Hmmm...tough choice. Not! [​IMG]
    In the Bizarro World, I guess there is Alarm Clock Forum where people spend lots of money on alarm clocks, tweek them, and upgrade them every two weeks. These people probably have $20 audio systems. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime
    [Edited last by KeithH on November 07, 2001 at 07:16 PM]

16. MatthewJ S

MatthewJ S Supporting Actor

WE CALL THEM "RE-FUBAR-ED" !!! BUT THAT'S ANOTHER CAN 'O WORMS!!!!
    SERIOUSLY , I wish that some decent company would come up with the SINGLE BOX-GRANNY-CAN-OPERATE product that sounded like it was worth $500, but no one does...Even the Acoustic Wave (full size) at $1100 doesn't have much competition for looks and transportability and ease of use...I have 3 (of coursae they were free),my ten year old has one, one is in my kitchen, the other is in the "power case" for tailgaters (my friends think it's cool) [​IMG] whatta ya gonna do?

17. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    (whoops, duplicate post. deleted)
    [Edited last by DaveF on November 07, 2001 at 09:36 PM]

18. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    quote: $500 for a clock radio is ludicrous[/quote]Spending $500 on an alarm clock is ludicrous -- as opposed to $100 speaker cables, $200 power cords, $500 power amps, $1000 speakers, and $15,000 video projectors. Yeah, those alarm clock people are freaks... [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    She's your mom. She gave birth to you, raised you, put up with your crap (literally and figuratively) for many years. Let her get what she wants. Then pray that your children humor you in similar fashion when you're old and won't listen to them . [​IMG]
    [Edited last by DaveF on November 07, 2001 at 05:27 PM]
    [Edited last by DaveF on November 07, 2001 at 05:28 PM]

19. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

DaveF, I think you made your point the first time. Was the second post really necessary? The point is, what does the $500 Bose Wave Radio get you? Better timekeeping? No. Great sound? Maybe, relative to other alarm clocks, but certainly not in comparison to a $500 sound system consisting of a CD player, amp, and two speakers. For only $100 more than the Bose Wave Radio, you can get a Sony Dream System home theater-in-a-box complete with multi-channel SACD. You may not agree with the notion of spending big money on cables, power cords, etc., but any way you slice it, spending $500 on an alarm clock is a grand waste of money.
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime
    [Edited last by KeithH on November 07, 2001 at 07:15 PM]

20. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave