Need help! WinISD graphs confusing

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Chris:-/OV, Aug 28, 2004.

1. Chris:-/OV

Chris:-/OV Stunt Coordinator

Sep 7, 2003
    Could someone who is well experieced with using the WinISD program please help explain some of the graphs used when modelling a speaker. Please tell me what the graphs are for and how they should look or how the curves are supposed to look when modelling a sub. The graphs are :
    1.Transfer Function magnitude
    2.Transfer Funtion phase
    3.Maximum Power
    4.Max SPL
    5.Group delay
    and the others found in WinISD

I Have read the help and Getting Started sections but i need a "dummies guide" on it so that i'll know how to shape my graphs when building my sub. All info will be appreciated because here in South Africa there aren't many people who are interested in DIY building.
    Kind Regards
    MR Stupid
  2. PaulDF

PaulDF Second Unit

May 17, 2002
    Chris, the DIY area would probably be a more productive place to look for help on this subject...

Basically, if you're designing a speaker, you want the frequency response to be as flat (even) as possible. For a subwoofer, you also want to try to maximize the lower end extension.

Of course this is a very quick and basic overview, and your own preferences must also come into play. Such as music/movies, music type, preferred box size, box type, etc.

You could also try to search around in the DIY section as this is a pretty common question.