Need help. Want to buy a DLP / LCD projector for HT. Don't know anything about....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Javier_Huerta, Jan 17, 2003.

1. Javier_Huerta

Javier_Huerta Supporting Actor

...recent products.

The story goes like this. I own an Infocus DLP340. Love it to pieces. Sadly, my dad's projector went to Display Heaven, so he asked to borrow my projector. I gave it to him, so now I need to buy a new projector.

I know for sure the following:

1) I'll be using an HTPC with DVI out (via an ATI Radeon 7500) as display source.
    2) I'd love to have widescreen support, if possible.
    3) Price has to be around / under $3K.

I've heard good things about the new Infocus "home" projectors. I can also get a deal on the LP500. Thing is, at 800x600 I don't think it'll be able to do HDTV.

Any ideas / opinions?

Thanks!

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
  3. Javier_Huerta

Neil, thank you very much for your input and link. I'm finding lots of options I didn't know I had. the Sony looks like a terrific deal, plus there is the Sanyo PLV-Z1 (which seems to have a lower lumen rating - I wonder how much this affects IRL).
    Also, I had forgotten about ProjectorCentral. Now I know the Infocus Home 7200 is completely out of my alley ($10K?!?), and the 110 is, too! [​IMG]
    The Sony keeps looking better and better the more I look for information, though. I wonder if this is not against forum rules, but if it isn't, can someone tell me please what's a good place to order the projectors on the Internet?
    Thanks again for your help!

4. Gerry S

Gerry S Stunt Coordinator

If you are interested in the infocus screenplay 110 and dont mind factory refurbished merchandise, then check this out:
    click here
    I have never dealt with this vendor, so I have no idea of their reliability, credibility, etc.
    go to google.com and do a search for "projector infocus 110". I saw one retailer had it new for $3900.00.
    Good luck,
    Gerry

5. TanT

TanT Stunt Coordinator

Check out the Pany PT-L300U

6. Mike Matheson

Mike Matheson Second Unit

(also known as the Panny AE300)--a strong competitor to the HS10 (particularly since the HS10 can't be found in stock anywhere right now).

7. AhsanR

AhsanR Stunt Coordinator

Let me tell you brah,

With Projectors, prices keep on tumbling downwards, the projectors are in a period of turmoil. Newer ones just keep rolling out. IF you need one this moment, I would suggest going to Projector Central and putting in your requirements and seeing what fits you.

If you can wait, better things are just around the corner, and prices are slashing heavily.

My two cents.

8. Javier_Huerta

Ahsan, I can actually wait (which makes me ever so happy).
    The thing is, I gave away my projector since my HT room is just being built. I suspect I could build the room, wire it, treat it acoustically, and try it out with music while I wait for a projector.
    I really want a widescreen model now, so I'd be willing to wait until, say, October, in order to get the right one. It seems the Sony would be a wise choice.
    OTOH, my dad also has a HT room. When I used my Infocus, I had it on less than stellar conditions. Yesterday, I went to his home and adjusted the color, brightness and contrast parameters on his projector, and then we watched "Lilo & Stitch" on it. My jaw dropped to the floor when I saw what my beloved projector could do when properly adjusted and installed on a 100" screen (and so did my dad, who, for the first time ever, actually mumbled something like "WOW, that thing looks stunning!).
    Thanks all for your opinions! My best guess is that the Sony will be available and much cheaper by October. [​IMG]

9. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    The HS10 units are rolling in and I have seen them at local b&m's in Toronto. I assume they must be in stock in at least a few online places, if not in Mexico City itself.

10. Michael Mathius

Michael Mathius Screenwriter

Javier:

You can go to my webpage for my personal experience with the Sony HS10.

MIchael

11. Javier_Huerta

Neil, they might be in stock around here, but I'd have to pay something like 60-70% in taxes and stuff.

My sister can pick it up for me, though (she lives in New Jersey). That's one of the reasons I would want to wait a bit for prices to fall.