Need Help w/Wharfedale Pacifica speaker placement

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Judy Y, Apr 12, 2002.

1. Judy Y

Judy Y Stunt Coordinator

I purchased the Wharfedale Pacifica line center channel and bookshelf speakers for my mains. (I hope to upgrade to floor standing Pacifica's and put the bookshelf's in the rear.) I am having problems getting them positioned. I can't help but feel like I am not getting the most out of them.

My first attempt had them too low to the floor. Worried about seemless panning from the center to the left and right mains, I tried to keep the mains close to the level of the center. (I have my center channel on a stand in front of my rear projection set.) I then raised all three speakers up, but feel like I lost more than I gained.

I don't have any of the speakers beside the t.v. I have all of them a bit in front of the tv. I also have them 4 feet or more away from the back wall. I am not unhappy with the sound of the center speaker, but the mains aren't quite right. Would it be better for me to back up everything and get the mains next to the tv and closer to the back wall?? There is not much info in the owners pamphlet for these speakers. Should they be farther apart from each other? (They are about 5 feet apart, now.)

Additionally, I am only about 6 feet or so away from the speakers. Do I need to be farther away? (This would require some serious rearranging of furniture to even attempt it- but...... I am willing to try!)

As a side note, I have my Vandersteen VSM-1's on my rear wall and they seem to blend well with the Pacifica's, (but they ARE located pretty far from them).

Thanks for any suggestions!

2. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

How large a room? You say 4 ft. out from the wall...then 6 ft. to the listening position...how much further back to the Vandys? You did not specify but I'm assuming you have the Pi 10's.

With the adjustable tweeters you should be able to play with positioning a good bit. I think you need to back the speakers up some as I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that the 10's are rear ported. This should achieve a small gain and the tweeter imaging should be played with as well.

I forget...are the 10's also bi-wirable? If so I would run the extra wire set and improve frequency separation. It all adds up eventually.

3. Judy Y

Judy Y Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for your advice! My room is about 11 by 19.

You are correct about the speakers being rear ported and biwirable. I have biwired them. I will try putting them closer to the back wall. That will put them farther away from the listening position.

I am also going to try setting them to "large" and see if that makes a positive difference. I know they are book shelfs and I have a great sub, (SVS 2039) but..... mid range seems flat. I will try putting them closer to the wall first.