Need Help w/ Tosh. SD-4700!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Duke H, Apr 30, 2002.

1. Duke H

Duke H Stunt Coordinator

Here are two interesting (albeit bizzarre) problems I ran into while watching "Star Wars Ep.1" and "Bandits." Maybe someone out there can show some love and help me out.

First problem: I was watching Bandits on my SD-4700 in widescreen mode, and in the middle of a chapter (I want to say 27), it froze up for 5-10 seconds, and then skipped 3 minutes, going strait to the next chapter. It doesn't do it on the "pan & scan" side, though. Layer change, I'm thinking. I haven't tried the disc on any other player, yet. Any one else have this problem?

Second problem: My girlfriend and I were watching the 2nd disc of Star Wars Ep.1, and the following happened...while my girlfriend was scrolling through menus, the little bar that tells you what option you're on just dissappeared! You can still use the joy stick on the remote to select items, but you have to guestimate what menu option you're on! I put the disc in to an $80 Shinsonic DVD player that is in another room, and the selection bar was displayed! I love my 4700, but I'm rather boggled by the fact that an $80 DVD player will function flawlessly, and my $250 (retail price) player won't! Is there some kind of software glitch I should know about? Does Toshiba offer free upgrades (I'm assuming my unit has version 3 software, but I'll have to find a copy of the service manual to check...unless anyone out there already knows how). Thanks in advance.

2. JonBouche

JonBouche Agent

I would venture to say the first problem you mentioned was caused by a scratch on the disc. This would explain why it only does it on one side. I doubt it has any connection to a layer change.

I have no clue on the 2nd problem. I will say that I previously owned a 4700 but took it back because of constant issues, such as locking up and not playing brand new DVD's. It does appear that this unit has some software/firmware issues that need to be addressed, but since I no longer own the unit I don't follow those threads.

How long have you owned this unit?

3. Duke H

Duke H Stunt Coordinator

The Bandits disc is in perfect shape. Star Wars has so far worked on a Toshiba SD-2800, and a Shinsonic DVD-100A. I've owned the unit since 02/07/02.

4. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

If Bandits has a pan&scan version on one side and a widescreen version on the other, then I doubt it's a layer change as I don't believe there are many (if any) dual-side dual-layer discs out there.

It could be a defect on the disc itself. Have you tried this particular disc on a different player? Also, you might want to fire off an email to Toshiba. They apparently track this sort of thing. A customer of mine had a problem with Disc2 of Ten Commandments on the SD4700 and Toshiba had a workaround.

The disappearing hi-lite issue I've seen before. It happens on the AVIA DVD too. Not much you can do about it unfortunately.

5. Duke H

Duke H Stunt Coordinator

John-

Thanks for the info. Any idea why it happens? It's just really bizzare, in the sense that (A) the disc works flawlessly on a Toshiba SD-2800, and (B) it worked for a while on Episode 1 before the Hilight bar suddenly decided to dissappear. Have you experienced this problem with the Star Wars disc? I'm wondering how many discs are like this. The problem most definately seems to be my player, but it's a relief to know that it is not an isolated case. I don't mind having minor inconveniences with a few titles, but if my player were messed up, that would definately be cause for concern.

6. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

Duke, if that Bandits disc messes up at the same point every time you play it, try it on another 4700. It worked fine on my SD3750 (pretty much identical to the 4700 inside) a couple of weeks ago...unless I fell asleep and missed that part [​IMG]

7. Duke H

Duke H Stunt Coordinator

Thanks. I'll take it into work to try it out.