What's new

Need help w/ Pioneer HDTV's Selection (1 Viewer)

JaimeC

Grip
Well, I've narrowed down my selection for HDTV's to the Pioneer brand. I need help figuring out what the difference is between the following sets besides the size. I have added some features I think are important, but hey, I don't know:
1)Elite PRO-720HD, 64", 72 point convergence ($8,300.00)
2) Elite PRO-710HD, 64", 1920x1080i w/ tuner ($5,237.00)
3) SD-582HDS, 58" ($3,769.99)
4) SD-643HD5, 64" ($3,399.99)
Can anybody help me with what the major differences are between these models. I guess the bells and whistles on the elites .vs. the other two are significant. If anyone is wondering the pull the specs on all these models off the www.pioneerelectronics.com www.thecameraclub.com and audioexcellence.com.
Thanks,
JaimeC

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
JaimeC,
I am asumming these are all brand new sets, not used, demos or floor models. The Pro-710 and the SD-582 are both older models that are no longer in production. The 582 has a relatively poor line doubler and frankly, the $3,770 price you indicated is a rip off.
Are you saying that the Pro-710 includes an HDTV tuner for $5237? If so, that's a pretty good deal on a very good set. That TV, without the tuner, had a street price of over $7K just this summer. The 710 does have a known problem, it locks into Full Mode with any progressive input. This is fine if you are watching anamophic DVDs, but is a problem if you are watching non-anamoprphic or older, non-widescreen DVDs. FYI, many other model year 1999/2000 RPTVs also have this issue. The workaround is to use the S-video connection instead of the component input (or to switch to interlaced, if your DVD player allows that) when viewing non-anamorphic DVDs. There have also been reports of 'white crush' and some video ringing on 510/610/710 Elites. However, all RPTVs have some problems and these don't keep the Elite 710 from having excellent picture quality.
The Pro-720 is the 2002 Elite. I can't comment much on it, I haven't seen one yet. I do know that it does not have the "Lock in Full" problem that the x10 models had. I can also say that if I had over $8K to spend and the space available for a 64" RPTV, I would also be considering a front projection system.
The SD-643 is the new 2002 Home (non-Elite) model and I think it is the best bang for the buck of the models you are looking at. Many people (myself included) think it looks almost as good as the 710. At $3400 you could get the 643, an HDTV tuner and a full ISF calibration on all inputs for less than the price of the 710 w/tuner and have a unit that would be outstanding, IMO. BTW, the SD-643 does not have the "Lock in Full" problem.
If price and space are not a concern, then I would consider front projection. If I wanted the best value, I would get the SD-643. FYI, I have the SD-533, the 53" model of the same set and I love it, so I am biased.
------------------
Dan
[Edited last by Dan Driscoll on November 09, 2001 at 11:23 AM]

JaimeC

Grip
Hi Dan,
Thanks for the feedback.
First of all all sets are new and the tuner is not included. I mena to impy the tv has the 1920x1080i if tuner is used. Sorry.
What is full mode lock?
What is amorphic and non-amorphic?
What connection is the S-vid to and from?
Whta is "white crush".
Sorry for all the dumb questions.
JaimeC

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
quote: Thanks for the feedback.[/quote]
No problem, that's what the forum is for. :)
quote: First of all all sets are new and the tuner is not included. I mena to impy the tv has the 1920x1080i if tuner is used. Sorry.[/quote]
In that case I feel even more strongly that the SD-643 is the best deal.
quote: What is full mode lock? What is amorphic and non-amorphic? What connection is the S-vid to and from? Whta is "white crush".[/quote]
Widscreen RPTVs have several screen modes. In Pioneers those modes are called 4:3, Natural Wide, Cinema Wide, Zoom and Full. The various screen modes are selected based on the type of input you are viewing. Full is used when the input is formatted or enhanced for widescreen TVs (aka anamorphic). These are DVDs that maintain the original aspect ratio that was shown in the movie theater. Most new DVDs are enhanced for widescreen TVs. But many older DVDs or DVDs of films from before the 1950's are not anamorphic or were not filmed in a widescreen format. (To learn more about anamorphic DVDs you should go to this http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/anamorphic/index.html
Much of what I just told you is stuff I learned here and in other forums. I'm just passing it on.
------------------
Dan
[Edited last by Dan Driscoll on November 09, 2001 at 01:24 PM]

Bill Lucas

Supporting Actor
Who's quoting $8300 for a Pro 720-HD? MAP on it is $7400. It is a big improvement over the 710-HD. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks