What's new

Need help w/ Microtek 4800 scanner (1 Viewer)

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Hey folks,
I just bought this scanner yesterday, and normally installing USB stuff is a breeze. However, after installing all the software (with no problems)and plugging in the hardware, I tried to use the scanner and it says "cannot find scanner"

Funny thing is when I plugged it in, the Windows "new hardware" display came on saying "Microtek 4800 found" and it installed the required software/driver etc.

The scanner is on and it shows up in my Device Manager profile, and everywhere else I can think of.

For the life of me I can't figure out what is wrong. The 4800 even has a "Find Scanner" feature, and when I click it, it doesn't find anything.

Any ideas what's up?

NOTE: I'm running Win98 w/ my 3 year old AMD6-2..previous scanner was a Canon 620U (which died for some reason)

Thanks
Alf

Jeff Lehr

Stunt Coordinator
Did you restart the computer WITHOUT the scanner connected after installing the software? This is the only place in the setup where something might have gone wrong. They have the note for this under the MAC setup. Otherwise, maybe your USB controller is acting up. Do other USB devices have any problems?

JL

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Hey Jeff,

Yeah I followed their directions to the T: installed software, rebooted, then plugged in scanner.

I have 3 other USB devices running and they are working just fine.

Jeff Lehr

Stunt Coordinator
Alf,

Don't know what to tell you in that case. One thing you can try is reduce the number of USB devices and see if it works then. I'm grasping at straws here, but maybe having that many devices is putting a drain on your USB bus? I know it's a long shot, but wouldn't hurt to try.

JL

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Thanks for the help Jeff..
Luckily, after many many searches and reviews of the Microtek site, I found a document that walked me through the "fix" for my problem (seems it's well known by them). It involved a bunch of file deleting, rebooting to Safe Mode to clean up my Device Manager etc, and after about an hour, I had everything cleaned up and re-installed, and I finally heard the beautiful sounds of my new scanner! :)
It is now working beautifully. (knock on wood)
Thanks again
Alf

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks