What's new

Need help w/entertainment center (1 Viewer)

Larry Jones

Auditioning
Hello all,
I'm building a new house in Bates City and need some help installing a decent entertainment center.
I would like to talk with someone who does installations and will do a good job for a reasonable amount. I do not want to go to Best Buy or such if possible.
Most of the help I'm needing is speaker selection, placement, wiring and installation.

Thank you,

Larry

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Larry is a friend of mine that lives around Blue Springs Missouri. If there are any installers, etc. that live in the KC, Blue Springs, Independence or surrounding areas that could help him, out post here so you guys can get together.

Parker

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Hello Larry!

I had a new home built about a year ago. I have in the last couple years decided that I never want a dedicated "theater room" in my house. However, that doesn't mean that I don't want a cool HT set up. What I opted for instead is to have a corner of my basement rec room set up to accomodate surround sound and movies.

My builder had a "structured wiring" package through a local company that was a somewhat expensive option on the builder's check list. This structured wiring package consisted of "multimedia" drops and a central hub, as well as in-wall speaker wiring and speaker installtion. I added to it with a few pairs of speakers and an in-house rack under the stairs in my basement with a conduit going from the side (where the rack is) to the front behind the screen.

If your builder has a package like this to offer, I highly recommend that you pursue this avenue. If you're not a serious home theater nutcase (like many of us on the HTF and me in years past) then just setting up a media room with this kind of thing will be exactly what you want. The contractor will probably be able to give you specific ideas about your environment (i.e. where and if install an outlet and conduit in the ceiling for a projector).

Personally in my case, the contractor did a fantastic job, I specified speaker locations, speaker drop locations, and placement of the rack and conduit. They had a few different speaker manufacturers they dealt with, I ended up with Proficient speakers in the ceiling which I really love.

If your builder doesn't offer this service, then you should ask for recommendations here and at the AVS forum and ask your builder if they mind if you bring in your own contractor to do some work when the house is framed.

Larry Jones

Auditioning
Phil,
Thanks for the reply. My wife and I are the contractors:) The framers should be done today(Mon). I already have all the components as far as the audio goes. Parker suggested a projector, but I'm not that into movies. I just like to sit back and be able to hear all the effects ie:gunshots past your head, rumbling explosions. What I really need is speaker suggestions ie: manufactures, in ceiling, on ceiling, wiring and such. I'd be more than happy to meet with anyone that would like to help. I have blue prints and I could even show you the house and where all this stuff is supposed to go. If anyone has questions I might have the answers:)

Larry

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
As far as specifics, I would recommend a local contractor that specializes in this kind of stuff. With any kind of in-wall wiring there are strict electrical codes that need to be adhered to, and requirements are going to be very specific to your exact needs. Being able to walk the room with a home theater contractor can be very eye-opening. They will make suggestions you've never heard of.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks