Need help w/ basics in Sat TV receivers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JaimeC, Nov 6, 2001.

1. JaimeC

JaimeC Extra

I am a beginner in the HT area and need help with some basics. I am currently looking at the DST3000 sat receiver to go with my HDTV. Is it a good buy for $600? If I buy the Mitsubishi sat dish and the generic receiver as it comes in a package at Good Guys Inc., should I discard the receiver and install the DST3000? Or will the receiver that comes with the $999 package do just fine? Thanks for the help.
    JaimeC

2. Rande

Rande Auditioning

If you don't already have the dual satellite dish (18" X 24") needed for Direct TV HD broadcasts, suggest you visit the Direct TV website. You can purchase the Toshiba DST 3000 receiver/decoder, dual dish with multi-switch, and installation kit for $699......a bargain, but it requires activation of the card.....not a problem for you if you plan on using the Toshiba decoder. I purchases the Toshiba DST3000 for $600, then a dish separately and payed more than the $699. The deal is listed under one of the Direct TV vendors.....something like American Satellite. I'm not endorsing the vendor....don't know them...but the deal looks good. [​IMG]
    ------------------

3. Brett _H

Brett _H Auditioning

Do you have to have dual dishes with Directv or can you just get the one eliptical dish? Also, if you can use the eliptical for Directv is it possible to use it with Dish?

4. JaimeC

JaimeC Extra

Rande,
    Thanks for yuor recommendation.
    Brett,
    I have not purchased anything yet. I was curious as to what to do to get the right receiver and not be redundant in buying the direct tv sat dish with another generic packaged reciever that might come with it. I think. Anyways thanks.

5. Brian Mello

Brian Mello Stunt Coordinator

Brett, all you need for DirecTV is the 18x24 dish with the multiswitch. You can use two separate dishes with the multiswitch if you want. I believe there is a way to pick up some of Dish's broadcasts with the 18x24 dish but you have to research it. I don't think you can get Dish's HD offerings with the elliptical dish pointed for DirecTV.

6. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert