Need Help. Very slow DSL connection

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Raymond_H, Feb 20, 2004.

1. Raymond_H

Raymond_H Stunt Coordinator

Jul 31, 2001
    I am really frustrated right now, here is the breakdown.

My internet connection is REALLY slow, load times, downloading files, everything is slow. Average speed of a download is somewhere between 1-3kb per second.

I am running Windows XP with SBC DSL with a PPPoE connection using the supplied Connection Manager.

It was working perfectly earlier, then all of a sudden its slow. No downloads of any files, or installation of anything that would warrant the slowdown.

I had this problem before, it was last week and all I did was with the Connection Manager it has a option of a "Repair Center" and I restored my applications after a re-boot it was perfectly fine. This time, nothing.

I have tried many different things, creating a new connection, using a different IP address, re-installing the Enternet (which I guess is useless with Windows XP)

I need help.

It might be a SBC thing, but a cousin who lives down the street with SBC Yahoo is running flawless. So maybe a combination of SBC with my apartment. But don't think so because I am still connected.

I don't know. And I can't find out from SBC because their office is closed.

So any help is greatly appreciated.

2. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

Aug 18, 2000
    Have you tried disconnecting the power cord for a while on your DSL modem ?...that does the trick for me when I'm having issues with my DSL. (I also reinstalled the drivers/software that came with the modem, just in case there was something corrupted)...Spyware can be the cause of slow perfoemance also.
  3. Randy_T

Randy_T Stunt Coordinator

Dec 18, 2001
    Go to Broadband Reports and run some of their tools. You can also check the fourms to see if anyone in your area is having the same problem.

4. Mark Murphy

Mark Murphy Supporting Actor

Nov 20, 2002
    Make sure the filters are working correctly. The filter on one my jacks that fed my Satellite receiver went bad and it slowed my DSL down to dial up speed. After some troubleshooting, I swapped out the bad filter and my 768K returned right away.