Need Help - Using X-30 xo with Servo-15 and Denon 4802

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin_Roy, Jan 4, 2002.

1. Kevin_Roy

Kevin_Roy Extra

Hello,
    I need help determining the best way to hook up my Servo-15 sub using the X-30 crossover. I am using a Denon AVR-4802 in a 5.1 setup with the following speakers...
    Paradigm Studio Ref. 60 - mains
    Paradigm Studio CC - Center
    Paradigm Studio Ref 20 - surrounds
    I am confused in regards to the variable crossover on the 4802. Any help would be appreciated. [​IMG]

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

I have no experience with either product, but I think for now you can get away with hooking the sub directly to the .1 output via RCA cable and let the processor x it over. That sub is powered, right?
    Good luck, I hope someone chimes in for ya.
    [​IMG]

3. Tom D

Tom D Stunt Coordinator

If you are placing the subalong the same wall as your main front speakers, then you dont need to use the x-30. The servo 15 is self powered and you can choose the crossover frequency through the Denon. Set the denon crossover frequency to 80 hz to start, adjust the lfe volume level to 0 db, and using the test tone and an spl meter or some music with heavy bass content adjust the sub volume untill you can start to hear it at your normal listenning position. Then you can use the rcvr to make fine adjustments to lfe volume. The only reason you mey want to use the X-30 for is if you place the sub behind your listening position and you have to adjust the phase of the sub.

4. Ariel

Ariel Stunt Coordinator

1. you just need to connect the servo15 rca input to the lfe out of the receiver and in your processor, set all speakers to "small". (no need for the x30)

2. not sure if the 4802 have the preamp out and amp in jacks. if these are available, you can connect the left (front) and right (front) preamp out of the receiver to the L & R input of the x-30 and you can connect the L & R (front) amp input of the receiver to the L&R out of the x-30. (you can choose 50hz, 80hz and 120hz and in your case, i think that you can choose 50hz as the studio60 can go lower than that freq) set the receiver to sub = none, front=large, all other speakers = small. you can then adjust the crossover freq. of the sub from the x-30. some people prefer this method as they can attain a better integration of sub/front speakers especially for music.

3.depending on the location of your subwoofer if phase adjustment is necessary, you can connect the receiver lfe out to x30 lfe in and the servo15 rca to x30 lfe out. set all speakers to "small" and set the x30 freq. adj. to max. and let the receiver handle the bass management.