Need help using Avia on Widescreen tv

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David_Jr, Dec 17, 2002.

1. David_Jr

David_Jr Supporting Actor

Dave
    I posted this in someone else's thread, but got no responses so I'm posting it here in hopes that someone can help me. Here goes:

"I similarly have two non home theater type friends that both purchased widescreen HD sets within a week of each other because it's the 'new' technology. One bought a 46" Sony and the other a 42" Samsung. The Sony guy bought a progressive scan dvd player to go with his, the Samsung guy already had a dvd/vcr that is not progressive scan. The Sony guy had me come over and set his TV up for him. i did not have my Avia with me as he called me at work, advised me of his purchase and asked me to stop by on my way home from work to help him set it up. Mind you he has no receiver or speakers and is relying on the TV for sound. (Couldn't convince his wife to let him have speakers in the living room). Samsung guy hasn't taken delivery yet. I set up the Sony guy with his digital cable on S-video and his progressive DVD on component cables. I think I set the dvd to progressive output (switch on back said 520p I think) and widescreen tv. The cable input was set so it filled the entire widescreen and cropped the top & bottom. I have to admit, even on his 46" tv I thought the cable looked horrible and the dvd playing The Sum of All Fears looked a little fuzzy. Mind you I don't have HD or progressive so I don't really know what it's supposed to look like. I could bring my Avia over and try to tweak a bit, but I don't have any experience using it on a WS HD tv. Is there anything I should know before I try and help these guys? Any help would be greatly appreciated."

2. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    nothing special for basic setup. Check the convergence, use any of the grids for that. I think the sony doesnt allow for convergence work in the user menu though??

Set black level after turning the contrast down. Set the TV to movie mode and turn off SVM.

Best of luck!

Gregg

3. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

I think the 46" Sony uses the same basic chassis as last year's HW40 models. If this is the case SVM can't be turned off as a separate user menu item. It will be completely off in Pro mode, at a low level in Movie, higher in Standard, and outrageous in Vivid. It can be turned off or adjusted to different levels in the different pic modes in the service menu, however.

4. David_Jr

Dave
    Are the test patterns in 16x9 or do they just stretch? Also is there any way to determine if the DVD player is actually putting out a 480P signal?

Thanks so much for the reply.

5. David_Jr

Dave
    Any answers? Also, what about upconversion of 480I sources? Is this done automatically or do you have to set it to do that? Thanks.