What's new

Need help updating laptop BIOS (1 Viewer)

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Ok folks...I have a second hand IBM Thinkpad 760EL and recently bought and installed some more memory.

Problem is the laptop doesn't recognize all of the memory chip (just 32mb of the actual 64mb chip I bought).

I've been told I need to update my BIOS from the much older version that's on there now.

I created a floppy disc of the newest version per IBM's site. I followed the installation directions but hit a stumbling block.

It says I MUST have a charged battery..Sadly, my second hand Thinkpad's battery is DEAD.

I attempted to install the BIOS, but it would not let me go anywhere and said I must have the battery to complete the install.

Is there any way I can bypass this roadblock and still install the new BIOS??

Thanks a lot for yor help

p.s. Anyone know where I can find a bargain battery for Thinkpads? Ebay only has one available for my model (760EL) so I'm still searching.

Alf

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
UPDATE:

By sheer luck, a guy last night listed a battery on Ebay and I snagged it. He says it works fine.

As long as that's the case, this BIOS update will work.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks